Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default [OT] Seeking headset to plug into phone base unit (via 4P4C)

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:32:51 +0100, Matt H R
wrote:

On 22 Apr 18:29, Stephen Howard wrote:

snip

There was a similar thread on UK DIY about this a short while
back - but to precis my earlier comments you'd be better off
with a Bluetooth-enabled landline phone and a matching
headset. I've got a BT Glide and a Sony Akono headset. The
phone's a bit cheap and plasticky ( Siemens do a nicer one )
but the setup works a treat - and the range is impressive.
It's been weeks since I picked up the old handset.

The bluetooth solution sounds great but it would blow my budget
to pieces.

I wanted to save on the £30 or £40 for a plug-in headset but the
BT Glide is over £150 and you would still need to get a
bluetooth headset ontop of that!

I got my Glide for £1.50 on ebay!
OK, so it was listed as knackered ( no earpiece sound ) - but I
figured it probably still worked via a headset, which it did.
I took it apart and stuffed in the earpiece speaker out of an old
Ericsson...works fine now.
No way I'd pay £150 for the Glide.

If you can find a shabby one cheap and just use it as a 'headset
engine' you might come in on budget.
I don't know why the landline Bluetooth phones are so expensive - you
can get a Bluetooth enabled mobile for a very great deal less.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations