Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
Matt H R Matt H R is offline

Default [OT] Seeking headset to plug into phone base unit (via 4P4C)

On 22 Apr 18:29, Stephen Howard wrote:

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:26:38 +0100, John
wrote:

I want to use a regular headset (earphones & mic) with my
landline phone. The headset would plug into the socket on the
phone instead of the curly lead.

I'm in the UK and the cost of ready-made telephone headsets
are about £30 or £40 which is a bit steep for me.

So I guess it should be possible to modify an ordinary headset
to terminate with a 4P4C plug which would then go into the
curly lead socket on the phone. I'm hoping it's almost as
simple as:

(a) replace the mic in the original handpiece by the mic in
the new headset

(b) replace the earphone in the original handpiece by the
earphone in the new headset.

What special considerations are there about headphone/mic
impedance or about any additional components which may be
needed?

Is there any constructor info or a simple circuit diagram for
this?

There was a similar thread on UK DIY about this a short while
back - but to precis my earlier comments you'd be better off
with a Bluetooth-enabled landline phone and a matching
headset. I've got a BT Glide and a Sony Akono headset. The
phone's a bit cheap and plasticky ( Siemens do a nicer one )
but the setup works a treat - and the range is impressive.
It's been weeks since I picked up the old handset.

The bluetooth solution sounds great but it would blow my budget
to pieces.

I wanted to save on the £30 or £40 for a plug-in headset but the
BT Glide is over £150 and you would still need to get a
bluetooth headset ontop of that!