Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Time for Mr. Woodchuck to go

In article , Ernie Willson
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In , Ernie Willson wrote:

A 22 cal "CB cap" would do the job quietly and efficiently. These are
more powerful than most air rifles and less powerful/noisy than a 22
short. They are pretty nearly silent. You are still discharging a
firearm though. In fact here in the police state of NJ shooting an air
gun is legally classified as discharging a firearm...go figure.
Use of an air gun is legally classified as use of a firearm?

Does that mean it is legal to use an air gun where it is legal to use
a "real gun" in NJ? And illegal to use an air gun in place of a "real
gun" to be used illegally?

Does this only mean that use of an air gun to commit a crime makes the
crime a "gun crime", or is it worse?

Meanwhile, it appears to me that in at least most of the 50 States
shooting of varmints and for that matter "plinking" with "real guns" is
not prohibited nor badly regulated by state law. And it appears to me
that prohibitions on discharging firearms in general are municipal laws
and not state ones.

- Don Klipstein )

Here, it's a local law, and for good reason. Even in the most spacious of
neighborhoods, houses are still 100-200 feet apart. Anyone who thinks of
plinking varmints in such an environment is a moron. That's why it's so
much fun to read threads like this one. Morons are entertaining, at least
until they shoot a neighbor, which eventually they will. The
preponderance of stupid hunting accidents is proof of this fact.

Disclaimers:
- I own guns.
- I don't hunt, but I know some perfectly safe & smart hunters.
So far as I can see, the only "moron" to check into this thread is someone
who ASSumes that everyone else lives in a place as crowded as where he
lives.

For all you know MKIRSCH1 could live in Death Valley.

EJ in NJ

I'm not about to go back and check, but in previous incarnations of this
discussion, others have opined that they probably wouldn't hit their
neighbor. If it's being discussed, it's a risk. How far can a .22 fly, in
your opinion?

A 22 Long rifle bullet fired upwards at the appropriate angle can fly a
maximum distance of about one mile on level ground. This is fact and
printed on most 22LR boxes. When it came down (after a mile flight) it
is doubtful if it would have enough energy to injure anyone. If the
rifle were pointed horizontally as in shooting at something on the
ground, the range would be more like 600 to 900 ft. If someone shot a 22
CB cap (which I discussed) horizontally, the range would be more like
100 to 150 ft. The practical range where someone could be injured by the
CB cap is about 50 ft.

The slower CB is less-affected by air resistance, which varies with
square of airspeed. I would expect the CB to have most of its capability
to inflict injury after flying 150 feet.

Please keep in mind what can happen if the projectile hits an eye, a
jugular vein or a carotid artery... The resulting lawsuit can fairly
easily cause a bankruptcy, and the injury that such lawsuit would be based
on would be something I would choose bankruptcy over.

- Don Klipstein )