Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jeff_wisnia jeff_wisnia is offline

Default OT - understanding you Yanks.

wrote:
Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

SWMBO and I saw it about a month ago and came out of the theater saying,
"Now THAT was a damn good movie."

I had a creepy feeling that I saw parts of myself in Walt Kowalski,
particularly with respect to keeping hold of too many tools and
materials collected over the past 55 years. They do come in handy
though, and one of my sons keeps saying "The right tool for the job" to
me evry time he comes over with something needing repair.

Yesterday morning my youngest son (age 22) came by with a 1/4 inch drive
socket extension with the snapped off driver from his Craftsman ratchet
handle stuck in it.

Faster than you can say Jill Robinson I chucked it in my lathe and used
a carbide drill (to get by the steel ball) to make a centered hole into
which I screwed a self threading screw and yanked that drive end out.
Elapsed time maybe 4 minutes.

I couldn't have done that if we were living in a condo with just a few
hand tools in a kitchen drawer, could I?

It's gonna be difficult for me to make that transition sometime in the
not too distant future....OTOH giving up snow blowing and shoveling
every winter plus keeping a half acre of lawn looking presentable the
rest of the year won't be hard to give up at all. G

Jeff

Postscript: I had some shopping to do at a nearby mall with a Sears
store in it. The kid's busted ratchet handle got swapped for a new one
at no charge. After I left I wondered if the guy there would have done
the same for the extension if I'd brought it in with that drive piece
stuck in it. G

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)