Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - understanding you Yanks.

Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

Very good movie. Maybe descibes "wingers" better than most. Some surprises
and very good acting by the Hmong girl.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anyone that politically incorrect is OK in my book, because he may be
bigotted, but is honest about it.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

I liked the movie. The interactions between the stereotype players was
quite interesting.

I think some of my favorite scenes were the barber shop where they had the
kid go out and come back inside to try again.

The interaction between the priest and Clint.

The scene where Clint gives the kid the Vice Grips and the duct tape.

I think the message was a commentary of America as a melting pot and the
positive aspects of the assimilation of various ethnic cultures over time.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 21, 1:20*am, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
Anyone that politically incorrect is OK in my book, because he may be
bigotted, but is honest about it.
--
Stupendous Man,

He's an ACTOR, skilled at understanding and imitating people very
different from himself, and as a director he has to know how to
persuade some *very* odd people into giving their best in take after
take when they are mentally exhausted from a 16 hour workday. It isn't
a place for a narrow-minded bigot unless they want to severely limit
their career, as some limo-lib actors do. I minored in theater partly
to learn those people skills.

Do you think Schwartzenegger is really a robot? Ever listen to him
explain ad-lib the complex balance of political consensus on an issue?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

SWMBO and I saw it about a month ago and came out of the theater saying,
"Now THAT was a damn good movie."

I had a creepy feeling that I saw parts of myself in Walt Kowalski,
particularly with respect to keeping hold of too many tools and
materials collected over the past 55 years. They do come in handy
though, and one of my sons keeps saying "The right tool for the job" to
me evry time he comes over with something needing repair.

Yesterday morning my youngest son (age 22) came by with a 1/4 inch drive
socket extension with the snapped off driver from his Craftsman ratchet
handle stuck in it.

Faster than you can say Jill Robinson I chucked it in my lathe and used
a carbide drill (to get by the steel ball) to make a centered hole into
which I screwed a self threading screw and yanked that drive end out.
Elapsed time maybe 4 minutes.

I couldn't have done that if we were living in a condo with just a few
hand tools in a kitchen drawer, could I?

It's gonna be difficult for me to make that transition sometime in the
not too distant future....OTOH giving up snow blowing and shoveling
every winter plus keeping a half acre of lawn looking presentable the
rest of the year won't be hard to give up at all. G

Jeff

Postscript: I had some shopping to do at a nearby mall with a Sears
store in it. The kid's busted ratchet handle got swapped for a new one
at no charge. After I left I wondered if the guy there would have done
the same for the extension if I'd brought it in with that drive piece
stuck in it. G

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 1:20 am, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
Anyone that politically incorrect is OK in my book, because he may be
bigotted, but is honest about it.
--
Stupendous Man,

He's an ACTOR, skilled at understanding and imitating people very
different from himself, and as a director he has to know how to
persuade some *very* odd people into giving their best in take after
take when they are mentally exhausted from a 16 hour workday. It isn't
a place for a narrow-minded bigot unless they want to severely limit
their career, as some limo-lib actors do. I minored in theater partly
to learn those people skills.

Do you think Schwartzenegger is really a robot?

Of course not. He is a cyborg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 20, 7:51*pm, wrote:
Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - *I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. *Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

This movie is an honest representation of the previous generation
American that built this country to the caliber it is today. Moral,
hardworking ethic, patriotic, have difficulty easily accepting other
ethnicities but down home on a personal basis. As an American of
ethnic origins, this is the type of American I am comfortable with
because of the honesty of their character, true to self, and not
insanely politically correct. One knows exactly where you stand with
them. You do not deal with a chameleon who'll stab you in the back
all the while smiling to your face. They have a strong sense of their
Americanism and all its accompanying values. This movie reminds me of
just how much I sorely miss that generation of American as compared to
many of today's leftist generation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

trg-s338 wrote:

On Apr 20, 7:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

Yes, I consider myself (I was born 5 years before Pear Harbor) to have
been blessed to have lived through what in my opinuion were the greatest
years that the USA has seen, or judging by the direction of current
trends, ever likely to exceed again.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He's an ACTOR, skilled at understanding ,,,

Duhh. Actors are skilled at lying. I don't give a damn about Clint Eastwood,
I was referring to the character he played.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:30:39 -0400, Wes
wrote:

snip
Movie won't be released to DVD until June 9th according to the lady at the rental place.
Considering the typically fast screen to dvd cycle that normally happens, the movie must
be grossing okay.

Wes

It is in only limited release around here Wes. It is what
they call an "Art Movie" or some such thing.

Haven't seen it either, can't recall the last movie I
watched for sure in any form...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

snip
Movie won't be released to DVD until June 9th according to the lady at the rental place.
Considering the typically fast screen to dvd cycle that normally happens, the movie must
be grossing okay.

Wes

It is in only limited release around here Wes. It is what
they call an "Art Movie" or some such thing.

Haven't seen it either, can't recall the last movie I
watched for sure in any form...

The last movie I saw in a theater was 'Chicken Run'.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:51:50 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

I saw it.

I liked it.

Got me a bit teary eyed actually.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey dood!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 7:04*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Ya, I'm a fan of your posts but you've been scarce lately! Anyway, I
had the same experience. Darn tear ducts got moist too... but just a
little bit I'd have you know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

I watched it tonight. Before I go on with my review, I'd like to thank you for the heads
up on the movie.

This has to be the best movie he has ever made while still sticking to the Dirty Harry
theme.

As you can figure, protecting one's property or neighbors at point of deadly force doesn't
bother me at all. If you notice, he didn't shoot anyone either.

Having tools and knowing how to use them doesn't make you a winger btw. Owning a gun
doesn't either. There are liberals that believe in the right to keep and bear arms. Not
as many on the left but they do exist.

The real man interplay was entertaining. I'm not so sure trading ethnic insults is part of
the US culture anymore. We have become a bit PC here.

I'm not giving away the ending but the man found redemption and lived inside his code.
That movie has to be Clint Eastmans masterwork.

I'll give it as many starts as on the scale.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 19:42:43 -0400, Wes wrote:

wrote:

[...]

While Im wobbling about it being his Master Work...Its right at the top.

I saw it when it first hit the screen some months ago...and was
enthralled by it. And for us older guys...it hit home in many ways.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi People,
went and saw an interesting movie on Sat night (when else?) called
"Grand Torino" by/with Clint Eastwood. The Clint Eastwood character Is
a winger, lots of tools collected over a lifetime, knows how to use
them, same with guns - I thought it was a good movie, and was
wondering if any of you guys had seen it, and what were your thoughts
on it, as it covers quite a few contemporary issues, both for you guys
and us in Oz. Please, only respond if you have actually seen it and
made up your own minds.
(And I am physically stuffed at the moment, cant even make it to trade
school, so have been reduced to being a movie critic - and, lets face
it, both our countries need more movie critics(not)lol
Andrew VK3BFA.

I finally saw it too. I'm wondering what contemporary issues you
think it covers. I saw it purely as entertainment. I don't recall
anything indicating any of the characters' political views. The
protagonist's "traditional" values were certainly a central theme.

Parts of it were slightly nostalgic for me because I lived in Detroit
for a while in the '50s and the neighborhood and houses look a lot
like I recall them.

I noted that the bad guys had and used guns in spite of gun control
laws in place that make their posession of those guns a felony.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I saw it last week. Excellent movie, certainly in the Eastwood Top 3.
I thought it cool that the neighbors were Hmong (sp?) tribesmen, a
forgotten but devoted ally in Viet Nam.
I wished for a better ending.