Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Time for Mr. Woodchuck to go

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The one time I caught a woodchuck in a Havahart. I was going
to take him out that night. But when I went back to the cage
at o'dark thirty, someone had opened the cage and let the
critter out.

Incidentally, a 15 minute road flare was lit and stuffed
into the hole, which was then back filled with rocks and
earth. Havn't seen any more wood chuck holes.

I have the same restrictions on shooting the little furry
devil.

I actually take them to parkland about 4 miles away. One neighbor
catches in his Havahart then drowns them in a garbage can.
First time I had problem I dumped a pint of chloroform down the hole and
sealed it. Then a couple of years later, groundhogs liked a spot under
stairs on a bank and I caught and released a couple but for future
deterring, I had to cement hole under stairs.

Main problem with the Havahart is you don't know what you are going to
catch. Along with groundhogs, I've caught skunks, possums, raccoons,
squirrels and birds. One week I had to make 4 trips to the park dumping
the other critters before I caught the groundhog.

I've posted this befo
http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf

Wish I had photographed the skunks but at the time my urgency was to
release momma skunk while 4 kids were hovering around the trap.