Mike in Mystic

Default face frame...dowels or Kreg jig?

People like that don't have a clue what they're talking about. "Good" and
"Traditional" aren't synonymous. Using pocket screws made for very strong
and sturdy construction. To me that is not just "good" but "great"
furniture construction. Next time, you should still use pocket screws, just
use the pocket hole plugs and don't say anything about it.

"Myxylplyk" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Ted" wrote in message

When assembling a face frame, which is likely to produce a better

fitting,
plumb/flush face frame? The Kreg Jig or a dowel jig? I don't have

access
to a planer or a wide body sander, so I won't be able to (easily) fix

any
misalignments. BTW, I haven't used either one jig before so the

learning
curve should be even.

What say you?

You got some good answers so far.
I'm going to cast in the estitic concern.
I've used my Kreg many times and I think it works great.
That said, you need to be very selective where you use it.
A few years ago, I built a chest of 7 drawers and used pocket screws for

making the dust
frame and the face frame joints. When it was done I thought it looked

great. Black
walnut case with Quarter sawn white oak drawer fronts with some cherry

inlay.
I then gave it to my mother in law for a Christmas present. Everyone said

they loved it.

Later I overheard a brother in law and my father in law discussing it.

Seems they were
glad my mother in law didn't know anything about good furniture

construction. They were
remarking that no one makes quality furniture with screw joints.

This was a good lesson. The piece was well made and looked good, but

people thought less
of it/me because the screws were visible with the drawers out. (If you

got on your knees
and stuck your head in with a flashlight) Now I only use them where they

cannot ever be
seen and I fill the holes for good measure. Invisible fastening systems

or venerable
joints like half blind and through dovetails and box joints and now my

rule.

Good luck with you project.
Myx