James D Kountz

Default face frame...dowels or Kreg jig?

Biscuits do a great job too if you happen to have a plate joiner. I bought
mine back when they were fairly new and paid out the whazoo for it but they
are reasonable enough now anyone could afford one. Plus you get a tool that
does SO many other things and has a billion uses around the shop too.

Jim

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"Ted" wrote in message
When assembling a face frame, which is likely to produce a better

fitting,
plumb/flush face frame? The Kreg Jig or a dowel jig?

Properly done, neither would be better. But IMHO the pocket hole screw
method is much faster and easer to correct if you do assemble the pieces

out
of alignment.

That said, drilling holes for dowels must be precise to begin with. With
the pocket hole method the drilling requires you to get the hole "close"

where you want it. Alignment of the 2 pieces of wood is dependent on
clamping the 2 pieces together so that the faces are on the same plane
before putting in the screw. A hint here, if you use 2 screws in each
joint, put in 1 screw and check the fit on the face side. If it is off,
remove the screw, readjust the wood and put in the other screw this time

ad
then check the fit. Put in the other screw if every thing is OK.
While the hand clamp that comew with the Kreg jig is pretty good, Kreg
offers a clamping Plate with swivel clamp. This set up is great for
assuring flush face joints on the good side regaudless of the material
thickness of each piece being joined.

I don't have access
to a planer or a wide body sander, so I won't be able to (easily) fix

any
misalignments. BTW, I haven't used either one jig before so the

learning
curve should be even.

What say you?