Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Occupancy sensor switch with CFL bulb light fixture

In article , BetaB4 wrote:
I want to put in an occupancy sensor wall switch to control a new ceiling
light that uses a CFL bulb. The switch I want to get is a Leviton
PR-150-1L.

When I read the product specs online, it says it can be used to turn on
"incandescent and Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting loads".
Here's the link to the product info:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGe...BE&appName=IBE

Is a CFL bulb a "Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting load"?
Nothing in the specs mentions CFL lighting fixtures, just "Rapid Start
Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting loads" -- whatever that is.

CFLs are not such loads, and are not recommended except for CFLs rated
specifically to be usable with dimmers and electronic switching devices.

CFLs rated to be usable with dimmers will probably be OK even if not
overtly rated for electronic switching devices,
but my warranty against damage to the CFL or the switching device or the
building/contents/occupants shall be limited to what I got paid to post
this...

Also, this light fixture is at the end of a wiring circuit. The existing
fixture is just a bulb holder with a pull chain to turn it on and off. I'm
going to eliminate that fixture, replace it with a CFL-bulb ceiling light
fixture (with no pull chain), and run a new wire from the light fixture to
the new occupancy sensor switch. I was thinking that to do that, the new
wire to the switch would be a "switch loop" since the power is at the light.
I think that means that the switch loop will have a black wire at the switch
and a white wire that is coded black -- in other words, essentially just two
"black" wires at the switch and no neutral white wire. Is that correct?

As I hear it, that is correct - black tape wrapped around both ends of
the "switched hot" white wire.

Will I be able to wire the occupancy sensor light switch with just these two
"black" wires coming to the switch?

Those I don't know too well - though I doubt you need any cable to have
both two hots and a neutral, though fair to good chance you need ground
for every cable. According to that, to extent I know such well enough,
ordinary "romex" should be OK.

If you have a cable with two "black wires", one of them switched, it
sounds to me that you need a junction box somewhere, though many lighting
fixtures have some enclosure allowable to use as a junction box (provided
proper fittings around all cables such as "1/2 inch connectors" or the
like is provided for and used). Also, ground wires of every cable must
connect to every junction box that the cables enter.
Anything used as a junction box, as well as every light fixture housing
having a green grounding screw whether or not the light fixture is used as
a junction box, needs every cable entering such to have a "grounding
conductor" (as opposed to "grounded conductor", which is "white wire")
connected to the "green screw" or otherwise connected to the metal
housing.

- Don Klipstein )