Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Occupancy sensor switch with CFL bulb light fixture

"RBM" wrote in message

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I want to put in an occupancy sensor wall switch to control a new ceiling
light that uses a CFL bulb. The switch I want to get is a Leviton
PR-150-1L.

When I read the product specs online, it says it can be used to turn on
"incandescent and Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting
loads". Here's the link to the product info:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGe...BE&appName=IBE

Is a CFL bulb a "Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting load"?
Nothing in the specs mentions CFL lighting fixtures, just "Rapid Start
Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting loads" -- whatever that is.

Also, this light fixture is at the end of a wiring circuit. The existing
fixture is just a bulb holder with a pull chain to turn it on and off.
I'm going to eliminate that fixture, replace it with a CFL-bulb ceiling
light fixture (with no pull chain), and run a new wire from the light
fixture to the new occupancy sensor switch. I was thinking that to do
that, the new wire to the switch would be a "switch loop" since the power
is at the light. I think that means that the switch loop will have a
black wire at the switch and a white wire that is coded black -- in other
words, essentially just two "black" wires at the switch and no neutral
white wire. Is that correct? Will I be able to wire the occupancy sensor
light switch with just these two "black" wires coming to the switch?

The CFL does not have a magnetic ballast, so most likely that motion
sensor won't work. Your wiring scheme is correct however, I would run a
three conductor cable to the switch location, as some motion sensors do
require a neutral. I'm not sure if anything is currently on the market
that will control a CFL, but in all likelyhood, it won't be long before
something becomes available. My guess is that anything that will control a
load as small as a CFL will probably require a neutral to operate, so be
prepared if you're doing the wiring ahead of time

The moment I hit the send button, Hubbell came out with a model for CFL
lamps: It doesn't mention if a neutral is required though. :
http://www.hubbell-automation.com/me...tsheet2007.pdf