Posted to alt.home.repair
BetaB4 BetaB4 is offline

Default Occupancy sensor switch with CFL bulb light fixture

I want to put in an occupancy sensor wall switch to control a new ceiling
light that uses a CFL bulb. The switch I want to get is a Leviton
PR-150-1L.

When I read the product specs online, it says it can be used to turn on
"incandescent and Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting loads".
Here's the link to the product info:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGe...BE&appName=IBE

Is a CFL bulb a "Rapid Start Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting load"?
Nothing in the specs mentions CFL lighting fixtures, just "Rapid Start
Magnetic fluorescent ballast lighting loads" -- whatever that is.

Also, this light fixture is at the end of a wiring circuit. The existing
fixture is just a bulb holder with a pull chain to turn it on and off. I'm
going to eliminate that fixture, replace it with a CFL-bulb ceiling light
fixture (with no pull chain), and run a new wire from the light fixture to
the new occupancy sensor switch. I was thinking that to do that, the new
wire to the switch would be a "switch loop" since the power is at the light.
I think that means that the switch loop will have a black wire at the switch
and a white wire that is coded black -- in other words, essentially just two
"black" wires at the switch and no neutral white wire. Is that correct?
Will I be able to wire the occupancy sensor light switch with just these two
"black" wires coming to the switch?