Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default dakota update, the head is cracked :(

But is that the source of the coolant leak? Many head designs crack
between the valve seats with no lomg term ill effects or the crack
extending into the water jacket. It's not necessarily bad. Depends on
the width of the crack, it's depth, and whether or not it can, or has
extended deeper. The history of the particular head design is also
significant. Any blogs on Dodge heads of your style doing this and
causing your problem? Did they pressure test the head to see if it was
leaking there?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

stryped wrote:
Well, i watched them magnaflux the suspected head and it is cracked
between the intake and exhaust valves.

I had a few questions:

1. Can the head be fixed somehow. The machine shop said they dont do
that work.

2. Where is the cheapest place to find a head if I need to do that.
(3.9 v6 magnum)

3. If I have to buy a rebuilt head, is there a problem having one
"new" head and an old head? What if the rebuilt head was milled and
the old one was not? Wouldnt their hights be different?

I appreciate your help!

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"