Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.radio.amateur
Mr. Haney Mr. Haney is offline

Default What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:59:48 GMT, (GregS)
wrote:

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:
In article ,
(Dave Platt)
wrote:
In article ,
Pilgrim wrote:

Tin has a much lower conductivity than copper, and as RF travels on
the surface of a conductor, it would attenuate RF and high frequency AC

Is that why most, but not all, teflon insulated wire was silver plated?

My understanding is that the Teflon-insulated wire uses silverplating
for a couple of reasons, related to the high melting point of Teflon
(and thus the high temperatures to which the wire is exposed when the
Teflon is melt-extruded onto the conductors).

I checked looked at a spool of about #20 stranded wire. It does look very shiny
like silver.
I thought it was odd looking at it. its made up of a tightly twisted center
section and a loosly woven outer section around the inner section. The TFE is
almost a fluorescent blue. Neat stuff. 19/32 strands.

This got to be audio grade !

It is likely SPC and is Mil grade. There is no such thing as "audio
grade". You have been talking to too many consumer electronics
salespersons.