Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.radio.amateur
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

Mr. Haney wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:30:49 +0100, Ian Bell
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/17/2009 7:20 AM Ian Bell spake thus:

Sandi wrote:

Is it real "tin" that's used?

No, it is usually tin/lead alloy, better known as solder.

Not any more (post-RoHS). (Solder, yes, but not lead.)

Fortunately I stocked up on the real stuff before they banned it ;-)

Cheers

Ian

Sorry, but TPC wire was already RoHS compliant. All the idiots had to
do is change the label. TIN is TIN. It doesn't say "SPC" (Solder PLated
Wire)... It SAYS TPC TIN Plated Wire. Pretty simple.

SPC (Silver, of course) is better anyway... particularly from a shelf
life POV.

I hate TPC wire that has been around too long. The crap won't even
take solder. Give me SPC any day. The cost difference is negligible, if
one weighs the added labor cost of dealing with poor quality TPC, which
nearly all of it is.

Tinned plated wire shouldn't have issues with solder how ever, electro
plated may which is normally used more in cases of screw terminals and
crimp fasteners.

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"