Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.radio.amateur
Sandi[_3_] Sandi[_3_] is offline

Default What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

On 17 Apr 16:22, Salmon Egg wrote:

In article
,
Pilgrim wrote:

Is that why most, but not all, teflon insulated wire was
silver plated?

My guess is that tinned wire is soldered more easily even
after much exposure to unfriendly environments. You do not
have any copper oxide to remove. Any crap in the tin flots
away and new solder flows in under such crap.

That's what I would have thought too. But if pre-tinned (plastic
insulated) wire is so useful in this respect then why isn't pre-
tinned found more often?

I'm not thinking of the use of wire at RF frequencies but as an
interconecting wire.

I haven't managed to compare the cost of pre-tinned wire identical
plain copper wire but I don't ever recall seeing tinned wire and
thinking it was unexpectedly expensive. Has anyone got any info
from making this comparison in the past?