Silvan

Default How old is a Morgan 10A vise?

Larry Jaques wrote:

it may look worse than it might feel. Are the thread faces
themselves badly pitted? If so, it may not be worthwhile
messing with. If not, give *b*y a go.

Looks like it would go. It sand blasted up pretty good. It's pitted, but
there's plenty of metal left. It will probably just be a little sloppy.

Heat the casting with a propane torch and let it cool some while
tapping on the end with a little sledge hammer to let it -know-
you want it to move. Spray on some WD/LiquidWrench/Croil (last
one highly touted) and try it once it finishes cooling.

OK, that could work. I haven't tried heating it recently.

While I'm posting, I'll just answer a couple others here in one place for
once. Checked again, no washing soda anywhere, so I decided to try
Oxy-Clean before spending any money.

It's working. I only have a 1A trickle charger, so it's working verry,
verrrry slloooooooooooowly. I'm not sure if it's the chemical or what, but
the anode isn't disintegrating. It's collecting little stalagtite looking
thinks, and it's quite freaky to behold. The vise is doing what it's
supposed to do, so I'm pretty sure I'm not eating it. Rust is turning to
black slime.

The big block that the screw runs through moves. The four holes that the
rods go through move a little when I whack them. I still can't turn it to
save my life. I think the business end of the screw still has rust deep
inside. That area hasn't really started to turn black yet either.

I put some Liquid Wrench on it. I'll try heating and beating the hell out
of it when I get back. I think it might go now that I'm only trying to
un-seize one thing. If not, the heat will burn off the oil, and I can try
electrolysis again.

Alternatively, heat the casting while cooling the screw with freon.

Freon... Don't let the EPA hear you say that!

american princess say just as you were about done making love?"
"Beige. Yes, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige."

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/