Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Pioneer plasma turns off

On Apr 15, 11:49*am, "Rastamon" wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message

obal.net...

Pioneer PDP-V401 40-inch plasma will run OK for hours or minutes and then
turn itself off. The warmer it is the shorter the period. Only cycling the
power switch will restore function. (It doesn't power on automatically
after
cooling.)

The unit seems very much *not* overly hot when it powers off. I'd say it's
well within operating temps.

I can't watch it always, but the displayed image seems to be OK.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar Pioneer plasmas (or
access
to the service manual) that can say what triggers the auto shut-off? Is it
PS
voltage fluctuation? Or heat?

Suggestions?

Check for Bad Capacitors on the power board. *On some cheaper units, I've
seen them blown. *On the better units, the capacitors do not blow up, but
start bulging. Check out Badcapsfourm.com for more info.

2nd that. Last year 3 of us replaced 10,000 caps in broadcast gear.
It's an extremely common failure and VERY aggravated by heat.
Panasonic FM and FC series through hole and FK for surface mount
recommended. Nichicon PW also very good. Many of these show no sign of
bulge / leak but test bad with an ESR test.