Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default Pioneer plasma turns off

Pioneer PDP-V401 40-inch plasma will run OK for hours or minutes and then
turn itself off. The warmer it is the shorter the period. Only cycling the
power switch will restore function. (It doesn't power on automatically after
cooling.)

The unit seems very much *not* overly hot when it powers off. I'd say it's
well within operating temps.

I can't watch it always, but the displayed image seems to be OK.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar Pioneer plasmas (or access
to the service manual) that can say what triggers the auto shut-off? Is it PS
voltage fluctuation? Or heat?

Suggestions?

Thanks.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

DaveC wrote:
Pioneer PDP-V401 40-inch plasma will run OK for hours or minutes and then
turn itself off. The warmer it is the shorter the period. Only cycling the
power switch will restore function. (It doesn't power on automatically after
cooling.)

The unit seems very much *not* overly hot when it powers off. I'd say it's
well within operating temps.

I can't watch it always, but the displayed image seems to be OK.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar Pioneer plasmas (or access
to the service manual) that can say what triggers the auto shut-off? Is it PS
voltage fluctuation? Or heat?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Add two fans to the backside running at half speed.
Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Add two fans to the backside running at half speed.

You had the same problem with this model?
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Probably not but the intent was a little advice on how to trouble
shoot these kind of issues and it can be done with any FPD plasma or
otherwise. Blow some air into the the back and see if the shutdown
persists then report back.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Will report results.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

I just now powered it on for the first time this morning and it turned off
immediately. Turning it on again, it remains running, for now.

I'll run it all day with extra fans, but does that first turn-off suggest
anything?

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
Pioneer PDP-V401 40-inch plasma will run OK for hours or minutes and then
turn itself off. The warmer it is the shorter the period. Only cycling the
power switch will restore function. (It doesn't power on automatically
after
cooling.)

The unit seems very much *not* overly hot when it powers off. I'd say it's
well within operating temps.

I can't watch it always, but the displayed image seems to be OK.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar Pioneer plasmas (or
access
to the service manual) that can say what triggers the auto shut-off? Is it
PS
voltage fluctuation? Or heat?

Suggestions?

Check for Bad Capacitors on the power board. On some cheaper units, I've
seen them blown. On the better units, the capacitors do not blow up, but
start bulging. Check out Badcapsfourm.com for more info.

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Specifically, I'm asking what safety function the firmware in this model (or
other similar age Pioneer) performs. Does excessive PS voltage trigger a
shut-down? High temp? I know that at least one other Pioneer model, if temps
get high, the firmware kicks the fans into hi-speed.

Thanks.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Check for Bad Capacitors on the power board. On some cheaper units, I've
seen them blown. On the better units, the capacitors do not blow up, but
start bulging. Check out Badcapsfourm.com for more info.

I had planned to go through the PS and check the ERS of the filter caps.

Is this a potential cause of the shut-down? Or is this simply a cause for the
SMPS to stop?

FYI, LEDs on some of the PCBs remain lit when the display and fans go off.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
b b is offline

Relay contacts?
have you measured the voltages on the psu secondary? also try turning
on with a multimeter clipped on, see if there's fluctuation.A
schematic would help you see if any resistors have gone high. check
eserviceinfo.

-B
Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

I removed the back of the monitor and set a 20" window box fan right behind
it on low (even low pushes lots of air). The monitor still powers off after
hours (or sometimes minutes), seemingly random.

The only thing that changed the symptom is this:
Mounted to the rear cover is a small "distribution" PCB into which all 5
cooling fans (2-inch) are plugged. When I pulled off the rear cover, I
unplugged the cable. When I turned on the power, the monitor ran for about 10
seconds then shut off. The same LED (labelled "PD") lights on the PS when
this happens (this LED is off during normal operation; it only turns on when
this error condition occurs). With the fan cable plugged in the monitor
resumes its random failure behavior (it will turn off eventually).

Each of the 5 fans is plugged into this small PCB. I unplugged each fan -- no
change, even with all 5 unplugged. Only when the cable from the monitor to
the fan PCB is unplugged does the monitor shut down.

The pins on the fan connector are labeled:
* 10.5/12 V
* GND
* P.D.
This tells me that the fans are operated in 2-speed mode: 10.5 V, normally,
and 12 V when things get too warm. PD must be a status signal. When it's
missing, the monitor shuts off.

Ideas?

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Apr 15, 11:49*am, "Rastamon" wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message

obal.net...

[...]

2nd that. Last year 3 of us replaced 10,000 caps in broadcast gear.
It's an extremely common failure and VERY aggravated by heat.
Panasonic FM and FC series through hole and FK for surface mount
recommended. Nichicon PW also very good. Many of these show no sign of
bulge / leak but test bad with an ESR test.

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On 16 huhti, 06:16, wrote:
It's an extremely common failure and VERY aggravated by heat.
Panasonic FM and FC series through hole and FK for surface mount
recommended. Nichicon PW also very good. Many of these show no sign of
bulge / leak but test bad with an ESR test.

Indeed. While some do, majority of the bad caps _don't_ give any
visible signs. So ESR measuring is required to tell the condition of
caps. Even capacitance measurement doesn't tell the truth.

See more about ESR and its measuring he
http://www.ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

And btw, yes, the bad caps are the most likely problem in the set.

--
Top-posting not supported.
Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

...yes, the bad caps are the most likely problem in the set.

Yeah, I'm probably headed for a mass cap-ectomy. I count 50 caps and I can't
even see all the PCBs yet...
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

First step, you need to look at the standby and power leds on the
front bezel of the set and see if they reports a shut down error code
by way of led flashes. For eg, the PDP-433PE service manual states;

"7.1.2 SHUT DOWN/POWER DOWN DIAGNOSIS BY LED DISPLAY
When internal circuit abnormality and other operation abnormality
occurred from this unit, self-diagnose display function by STANDBY/ON
(LED) indicator is loaded.
Each NG point by LED blinking and a PD (power down) point are as
follows
SHUT DOWN
Operations : When a microcomputer detects abnormality, it turns the
power supply to OFF.
LED display : Green blinks
Number of blinks Name
1 Panel Microcomputer NG
2 DIGITAL-IIC communication NG
3 Dewdrop abnormality
4 Temperature abnormality

POWER DOWN (PD)
Operations : When this unit becomes the dangerous state, turn the
power supply OFF with the protection circuit.
LED display : Red blinks
Number ofblinks Name
1 Y-DRIVE
2 Y-DC/DC CONVERTER
3 X-DC/DC CONVERTER
4 X-DRIVE
5 Power supply
6 Address junction
7 Address resonance
8 DIGITAL-DC/DC CONVERTER

How to release the power down state
AC power OFF
$B"-(B
Wait for PD LED in the power supply module disappearing
(for around 30 seconds).
$B"-(B
Afterwards, wait moreover for five seconds.
$B"-(B
Return by AC power ON.
* After power down release, this unit rises up in the standby state."

The manuals have more elaborate details that you need to go through,
you surely need 1 else you'd be groping in the dark, dont go changing
caps blindly praying for a miracle..
You could try sharefx.com for the service manual. You need to register
and share a few before getting anyone to share with you ( like napster
or a regular p2p) I offer to try on your behalf should your request be
ignored. Let me know.

Jango

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

First step, you need to look at the standby and power leds on the
front bezel of the set and see if they reports a shut down error code
by way of led flashes. For eg, the PDP-433PE service manual states;

Thanks.

I understood everything except what to do to release the power down state.
Some of the text didn't translate very well. See what I mean:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ecgm55.jpg

So you can see what it looks like to me.

Can you maybe try again and type those few lines of instructions without
copying & pasting?

Thanks.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Seems lke they mean - pull out the mains cord and wait 40 secs before
powering up.Any luck with the service manual?
Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
No Name

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

If I were you I would throw a bowling ball through it and forget about T.V.
all together. In 2000, I had a bad day at work. So I got home and saw the
T.V. was tuned to MTV. So I went upstairs, got a bowling ball, and threw it
through the screen and broke it. Then I took the bowling ball and threw it
at the cabinet, and broke that and finished off the circuit board with it. I
threw the T.V. pieces in the trash. My 27 inch T.V. was 6 inches tall when I
was done with it, no higher than the speakers. I have not watched a minute
of television since (unless it was in a resturant or at work) and don't miss
it. I don't miss Judge Shyster or some jagoff pretending to be a doctor. Nor
do
I miss the same 9 movies and same 50 tv shows ran ad nauseum. I
canceled cable, and when they asked me why I want to cancel cable I told
them I had not receive another bill from them and hung up the fone. They did
call me one day and asked if I would like to reactivate my cable
subscription so I put the fone next to my ass and cut the loudest fart they
have ever heard.

I half way through eating a gallon of Anderson's French Vanilla ice cream
when the doorbell rang so I opened the door and it was these young kids and
they were offering me satellite T.V. service. It was the combo or bundle
(you know fone, t.v. and internet rip off). I told them, "Let me get my
checkbook" and I shut the door. I took a **** in my hand, opened the door,
and threw the turd at them and told them that if they ever came back to my
house, I would kick there asses.

With the money I am not spending on cable T.V., I can spend it on things I
truly enjoy. I have bought a bunch of oreos and twinkies and used them to
fill up the void of space once left by my 27 incvh T.V.

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

---(** SiTrE JoSEpHEnNE MaGAna **)--- wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

Wow! You are one tuff monkey! Twinkies and everything.

Go get 'em Tiger.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

If I were you I would throw a bowling ball through it and forget about T.V.
all together. In 2000, I had a bad day at work. So I got home and saw the
T.V. was tuned to MTV. So I went upstairs, got a bowling ball, and threw it
through the screen and broke it. Then I took the bowling ball and threw it
at the cabinet, and broke that and finished off the circuit board with it.. I
threw the T.V. pieces in the trash.

Severe lead poisoning can include any of these symptoms

•intermittent, severe abdominal cramps
•vomiting
•alteration of brain structure
•nerve degeneration
•convulsions and seizures
•delirium
•coma
•death
You ought to switch to unleaded soon.
Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

I'm not there quite yet. I don't see anything interesting in any TV show
except possibly House MD and Two. PBS offers some Brit stuff that's fun but
most of the US offerings are tired crap.

FBt

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

jango2 wrote:
If I were you I would throw a bowling ball through it and forget about T.V.
all together. In 2000, I had a bad day at work. So I got home and saw the
T.V. was tuned to MTV. So I went upstairs, got a bowling ball, and threw it
through the screen and broke it. Then I took the bowling ball and threw it
at the cabinet, and broke that and finished off the circuit board with it. I
threw the T.V. pieces in the trash.

Severe lead poisoning can include any of these symptoms

•intermittent, severe abdominal cramps
•vomiting
•alteration of brain structure
•nerve degeneration
•convulsions and seizures
•delirium
•coma
•death
You ought to switch to unleaded soon.

You left out "writing idiotic Usenet posts". ;^)