Larry Jaques

Default How old is a Morgan 10A vise?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:17:15 -0400, Silvan
pixelated:

It's *massive*. I'd say by eyeball the guide rods are better than 1" in
diameter. I don't own a wrench, not even a Crescent, big enough to get
around the nuts on the ends of the rods. It probably weighs somewhere
between 40 and 50 pounds.

Cool.

I don't know how advantageous massive would be, and the screw is
significantly pitted after years of rust, so it might never be smooth and
sure. Still, it looks like one hell of a vise if I can ever get it going.

Remember that the face of the thread is the contact point, so
it may look worse than it might feel. Are the thread faces
themselves badly pitted? If so, it may not be worthwhile
messing with. If not, give *b*y a go.

If I can't find "washing soda" maybe try Drain-O? That's almost pure lye,
isn't it? Yes, I realize it would be caustic as hell, and washing soda
would be safer, but mostly I just want to get this thing working if I can.

Heat the casting with a propane torch and let it cool some while
tapping on the end with a little sledge hammer to let it -know-
you want it to move. Spray on some WD/LiquidWrench/Croil (last
one highly touted) and try it once it finishes cooling.

Alternatively, heat the casting while cooling the screw with freon.
Grease the uncooled side so it fills the hot casting with a good
moly w/b grease as you get it to move. Some will be absorbed into
the casting as it cools, helping prevent future seizures.

Also, someone asked this several years ago, and never got an answer. I'll
repeat the question. What color should this be painted?

"Beige." was the answer that popped into my mind at that point.
It reminded me somehow of the yewish joke "What did the yewish
american princess say just as you were about done making love?"
"Beige. Yes, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige."

----
A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming