The Guy

Default How old is a Morgan 10A vise?

Silvan wrote:

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

I've had good success using either the Arm and Hammer washing soda
(found in the laundry detergent aisle) or borax (as in 20 Mule Team,
also found in the l. d. aisle). As to the Drain-O, I wouldn't.

Borax we got. I used to stock the laundry detergent at Wal-Mart, and this
washing soda stuff just doesn't ring a bell, though I haven't yet gone out
to look *hard* since someone mentioned a blue box.

snip

Washing soda is just sodium carbonate. If you look at the ingredients
of granular dishwasher detergent you will find that is also sodium
carbonate.

I could not locate washing soda in my general area, so I have been using
dishwasher detergent for years in this application and it works well.

While electrolysis will work well to remove external rust on the vise,
it is probably not the best process for freeing up the screw. In order
for electrolyses to work, the electrolyte needs to come in contact with
the rust and then permit the rust to migrate towards the anode. The
close tolerances of the mating screw surfaces will significantly impede
this process.

Try a good penetrating oil to free up the vise screw and then zap the
disassembled components to remove the rust.

Tim