Bob Gramza

Default How old is a Morgan 10A vise?

"Silvan" wrote in message
: I have a badly rusted vise. I think I posted about it a couple years ago
: when I got it. I'm finally getting geared up to give electrolysis a try,
: because everything else (heat, liquid wrench, time, vinegar, Coke, 10'
: cheater bar, sand blaster) has failed to get the screw turning. I'd have
: done it already, but even my 80-something grandmother has never heard of
: washing soda, and I have no idea where to get some. The web makes it sound
: common, but it ain't common around here, unless I'm blind.
:
: I DAGS, and turned up absolutely *nothing* about Morgan except a couple of
: unanswered questions, which is pretty amazing. The way this looks, I can't
: believe it's a no-name cheapo, so I'm beginning to think it must be
: extremely old.
:
: I'm trying to get some sense of how old it is, and how valueable in the
: great scheme of things. Something comparable would set me back better than
: $100 at least, so it's worth saving, but I'm trying to figure out if it's a
: $100 vise or a $150 vise. Based on the amount of iron in this thing, I'd
: say it's even a $200 vise, but it looks like the $150 Record has it beat on
: capacity, if not massiveness.
:
: It says MORGAN VISE CO CHICAGO to the left of the screw, and MORGAN 10A VISE
: to the right. The jaws are 7" wide, and I estimate it would open to about
: 10" if I could budge it. There's a pop-up dog thingie on the front.
:
: It's *massive*. I'd say by eyeball the guide rods are better than 1" in
: diameter. I don't own a wrench, not even a Crescent, big enough to get
: around the nuts on the ends of the rods. It probably weighs somewhere
: between 40 and 50 pounds.
:
: I don't know how advantageous massive would be, and the screw is
: significantly pitted after years of rust, so it might never be smooth and
: sure. Still, it looks like one hell of a vise if I can ever get it going.
:
: If I can't find "washing soda" maybe try Drain-O? That's almost pure lye,
: isn't it? Yes, I realize it would be caustic as hell, and washing soda
: would be safer, but mostly I just want to get this thing working if I can.
:
: Also, someone asked this several years ago, and never got an answer. I'll
: repeat the question. What color should this be painted?
:
: --
: Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
: Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

I picked up one of those vises at a garage sale a month or 2 ago. The one I picked up has a quick
release set-up on the screw to allow you to slide the vise in and out then tighten it up. A little
different than todays vises with the release bar. Only paid $5.00 for the vise. I have not been able
to find any info on them either. It will work good with my Record vise
: