Kevin Craig

Default Should I Finish Bed Slats?

In article , Trent©
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:30:45 GMT, "Bob N" wrote:

Thanks, guys. I was worried about poplar's strength but the lumber dealer
said it would
be fine and it was about half the price of the ash. I agree that it should
be fine
because 1) there are 14 slats, each 3 1/2" wide and 3/4" thick for a
full-size bed;

That's a misprint...right? You meant 4 slats...right?

I sure hope so.

Why? I've never seen a bed with as few as 4 slats. Six, minimum, and
that's with a foundation. For a mattress directly on the slats, Bob's
number and spacing sound just about right.

Some people (and much furniture) dictate that a foundation be used in
order to bring the mattress to the proper height. I consider a
foundation to be a complete waste; it takes up perfectly good storage
space.

Kevin