Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MTRHEAD MTRHEAD is offline

Default Hitachi plasma Bad digital board can I replace at home?

On Apr 13, 3:00*pm, PlainBill wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:37:36 -0700 (PDT), MTRHEAD
wrote:

PlainBill,
Thats the only thing I'm worried about. *I can change boards in robots
and do most handyman things from motors to household appliances. *I'm
just not sure if info has to be transferred or something like software
downloads.
The repair man wants $450.00+ to change the board. *Overall I think
he's expensive. I'm going to call another shop and ask them a basic
quote. *If its $200 labor an hour than its probably simple. * I think
I'm going to do it myself...if it doesn't work I pay a little more for
theother stuff. *Set is like NEW...

HOWEVER, sometimes certain information must be transfered from the old
board to the new, adjustments must be made or jumpers set on the new
board. *And of course there are cables to be unplugged and
reconnected. *

PlainBill

Let's see if I understand this. *The digital board costs $450, and the
serviceman wants another $450 to replace it??? *I am out of touch, but
$450 seems outrageous unless you live more than 40 miles from the
shop. *

Unless they have something really screwy with the set, I would think
it would take less than an hour - and that's if you have it on a wall
mount.

PlainBill- Hide quoted text -

Yes you are right $450 for the part $50 to pick up the plasma $70
for service look $450 for labor and $50 for return...then he stated
uhm...$450 total for service. He thought he had me...I picked up my
Plasma today and never going back...I made the mistake of not getting
a write up on the spot before he drove off with my plasma...So I went
to few other shops today. $175-$215 repair based on the board only.
I really want to do it myself I'm just worried about the board being
bad (new one) or something else that I wouldn't know. The service
manual has NOTHING specific around the digital board so it must just
be plug play.