Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hitachi plasma Bad digital board can I replace at home?

Found out my Hitachi 55hdt79 plasma has a bad digital board. I
downloaded the manual last night and saw it looks like a plug in style
build up. A new digital board is $450 but the cost for the local TV
man to install is WAY too much. Can this board be changed out at
home?
if so, what precautions need to be taken? I paid a fortune for the
TV but dont have the amount they want to install. It just can't be
that hard.

Thanks in advance.
john
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:30:53 -0700 (PDT), MTRHEAD
wrote:

Found out my Hitachi 55hdt79 plasma has a bad digital board. I
downloaded the manual last night and saw it looks like a plug in style
build up. A new digital board is $450 but the cost for the local TV
man to install is WAY too much. Can this board be changed out at
home?
if so, what precautions need to be taken? I paid a fortune for the
TV but dont have the amount they want to install. It just can't be
that hard.

Thanks in advance.
john

John, I'm tempted to say if you have to ask, you can't do it, but
that's an oversimplification. I am NOT familiar with that set. Does
the manual give explicit instructions? And what is your level of
experience? Most modern electronics is designed to be serviced at the
board level; no soldering iron required.

HOWEVER, sometimes certain information must be transfered from the old
board to the new, adjustments must be made or jumpers set on the new
board. And of course there are cables to be unplugged and
reconnected.

If you have problems changing oil in your car, plugs disconnect from
power cords when you unplug appliances, and you routinely injure
yourself with a phillips screwdriver, DON'T try this yourself.

If, on the other hand you are one of those superbeings who can build a
computer from a box of parts while talking to your mother-in-law on
the phone AND babysitting three toddlers simultaneously, this should
be a snap.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

PlainBill,
Thats the only thing I'm worried about. I can change boards in robots
and do most handyman things from motors to household appliances. I'm
just not sure if info has to be transferred or something like software
downloads.
The repair man wants $450.00+ to change the board. Overall I think
he's expensive. I'm going to call another shop and ask them a basic
quote. If its $200 labor an hour than its probably simple. I think
I'm going to do it myself...if it doesn't work I pay a little more for
theother stuff. Set is like NEW...

HOWEVER, sometimes certain information must be transfered from the old
board to the new, adjustments must be made or jumpers set on the new
board. *And of course there are cables to be unplugged and
reconnected. *

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 12, 4:37*pm, MTRHEAD wrote:
PlainBill,
Thats the only thing I'm worried about. *I can change boards in robots
and do most handyman things from motors to household appliances. *I'm
just not sure if info has to be transferred or something like software
downloads.
The repair man wants $450.00+ to change the board. *Overall I think
he's expensive. I'm going to call another shop and ask them a basic
quote. *If its $200 labor an hour than its probably simple. * I think
I'm going to do it myself...if it doesn't work I pay a little more for
theother stuff. *Set is like NEW...

HOWEVER, sometimes certain information must be transfered from the old
board to the new, adjustments must be made or jumpers set on the new
board. *And of course there are cables to be unplugged and
reconnected. *

PlainBill- Hide quoted text -

No the manual doesn't give explicit instructions. However I will need
to read again. It shows the board, diagnostics,and patterns. Not
much "super" technical unless you have picture problems then it refers
to lunix software updates and other TV lingo settings.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:37:36 -0700 (PDT), MTRHEAD
wrote:

PlainBill,
Thats the only thing I'm worried about. I can change boards in robots
and do most handyman things from motors to household appliances. I'm
just not sure if info has to be transferred or something like software
downloads.
The repair man wants $450.00+ to change the board. Overall I think
he's expensive. I'm going to call another shop and ask them a basic
quote. If its $200 labor an hour than its probably simple. I think
I'm going to do it myself...if it doesn't work I pay a little more for
theother stuff. Set is like NEW...

HOWEVER, sometimes certain information must be transfered from the old
board to the new, adjustments must be made or jumpers set on the new
board. *And of course there are cables to be unplugged and
reconnected. *

PlainBill

Let's see if I understand this. The digital board costs $450, and the
serviceman wants another $450 to replace it??? I am out of touch, but
$450 seems outrageous unless you live more than 40 miles from the
shop.

Unless they have something really screwy with the set, I would think
it would take less than an hour - and that's if you have it on a wall
mount.

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes you are right $450 for the part $50 to pick up the plasma $70
for service look $450 for labor and $50 for return...then he stated
uhm...$450 total for service. He thought he had me...I picked up my
Plasma today and never going back...I made the mistake of not getting
a write up on the spot before he drove off with my plasma...So I went
to few other shops today. $175-$215 repair based on the board only.
I really want to do it myself I'm just worried about the board being
bad (new one) or something else that I wouldn't know. The service
manual has NOTHING specific around the digital board so it must just
be plug play.