Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Chinese drywall poses potential risks

wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:51:59 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always
latch onto a way to bash China.

And exactly what's wrong with bashing China? You sound as though you might
be one that makes money from China's imports? Could that be the case?

I have no problem with bashing China but it shouldn't automatically be
a reason to panic Americans across the country about a problem that
has really only been demonstrated in a few houses built by Lennar over
a very short period of time in Cape Coral Florida.
It is like that tomato scare that had millions of pounds of tomatoes
thrown away over a problem that may have just been one shipment of
tomatoes carried in one dirty truck.

There were a number of deaths, scattered around the country. Since
e-coli or salmonella are really unpleasant ways to die, I can see the
reason for caution. With mass marketing, there is more potential to
have mass outbreaks from one contaminated product or facility mixing
with huge amounts of product. If I am one small grower who sells to a
wholesaler who sells to Dole, then I can mess up a large amount of food
product. With modern medicine being what it is, there are thousands and
thousands of people with immune system problems who live well until they
get a dose of e-coli in their food or some arcane bacteria from water
supply. Seafood is already mass contaminated, so dirtying the ocean has
been accomplished. I read about sea otters off the coast of Oregon?
dying from diseases carried by runoff - source: domestic cats.

Now, if folks could buy from local farms, sources would be much more
identifiable and easy to contain.