Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chinese drywall poses potential risks

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...yik0AD97GBF100
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) €” At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...yik0AD97GBF100

and poison.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I first read some of your earlier posts I thought you were just a
improperly medicated nut-case. Now I think you're an improperly
medicated troll!

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:12:49 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...yik0AD97GBF100

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ypWMaQgq3I...- Hide quoted text -

Have you read about the hundreds, actualy probably thousands, of
houses with this serious issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:04:46 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

Have you read about the hundreds, actualy probably thousands, of
houses with this serious issue.

Cite Florida and other gulf coast states, post five year hurricanes!

btw, Cubans refer to Chinese products as "chinna" (?) on translation).

An inferior product, according to Cubans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Gordon Shumway wrote:
When I first read some of your earlier posts I thought you were just a
improperly medicated nut-case. Now I think you're an improperly
medicated troll!

What is your problem? The post is perfectly on-topic here.

wrote:

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...Qgq3Idjhmyik0A

D97GBF100

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...yik0AD97GBF100

Chinese drywall presents no problem if properly installed (2 coats oil-based
KILZ or equivalent on all sides).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:40:42 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Molly Brown wrote:
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...yik0AD97GBF100

Chinese drywall presents no problem if properly installed (2 coats oil-based
KILZ or equivalent on all sides).

Did the drywall come with such a warning? If maybe it did, did anyone
in the construction crew read it? Did they do anything because of it.

How often, if the owner isn't there to insist on it, will the side not
seen be be painted at all, or the edges. How often does the owner
know it's supposed to have TWO coats on all sides?

A lot of new houses get a light coat of spray paint on one side after
the walls are in and before the non-wood trim.

And how many install sheet-rock in a basement or garage or a home they
can't afford to complete and don't paint it for years.

Your sentence is like saying bald tires present no problem if they are
retreaded.

Or, poison gas presents no problem if all present are wearing gas
masks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ypWMaQgq3I...- Hide quoted text -

Have you read about the hundreds, actualy probably thousands, of
houses with this serious issue.

Yes I knew about the problem with the Chinese drywall. It was all
over the news months ago. My point is all she ever does is bitch
about items from China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xS6cypWMaQgq3I...

Chinese drywall presents no problem if properly installed (2 coats oil-based
KILZ or equivalent on all sides).

That would about double the cost of instalation, and remember an oil
base cant be the first coat on drywall, so you advocate 3 coats on
every side to seal out harmfull unscrubbed fly ash contaminents. This
issue may be be affecting 100,000 homes acording to AP. Copper and
other metals turn black in a few months from unscrubbed Fly Ash sulfer
based contaminents. No point to paint and "try" to seal in poison, it
should not have been sold. USG uses Fly Ash, but its scrubbed first.
Its just another instance of Chinese doing anything and selling
poison, for a buck
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ypWMaQgq3I...- Hide quoted text -

Have you read about the hundreds, actualy probably thousands, of
houses with this serious issue.

Last time I saw news report about the matter, one estimate was that
300,000 homes were involved. Other estimate 100,000. No certain
figures. What actual harm is the stuff doing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 11:03*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

wrote:

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xS6cypWMaQgq3I....
D97GBF100

I agree the post is on topic. *My point is all she ever does is bitch
about items from China.- Hide quoted text -

So what, Poisoned dog food [I had it], Phonied protein levels in milk
with the Poison Melamine. Milk powder that killed many kids and gave
kidney issues to tens of thousands, poison tooth paste, Poison
Glycerin, Lead for the kids toys, Cheap products that break whan you
look at them, Piracy and counterfieting of everything. She has good
reason to bitch about Chinese crooks, I hope she keeps it up. So whats
the next Poison from China. Read an AP article out yesterday on
drywall, People are broke, houses are poisoned, the contractors in ch
11, the gov wont kick China because China buys our debt. So who will
fix this nightmare for 100,000+
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Chinese drywall presents no problem if properly installed (2 coats
oil-based KILZ or equivalent on all sides).

Did the drywall come with such a warning? If maybe it did, did anyone
in the construction crew read it? Did they do anything because of it.

If the builders don't install the drywall properly, how is that the
drywall's fault? Nails don't come with instructions: "Pointy-end first."

How often, if the owner isn't there to insist on it, will the side not
seen be be painted at all, or the edges. How often does the owner
know it's supposed to have TWO coats on all sides?

I don't know. Reputation, skill, and experience of the builder maybe?

A lot of new houses get a light coat of spray paint on one side after
the walls are in and before the non-wood trim.

And how many install sheet-rock in a basement or garage or a home they
can't afford to complete and don't paint it for years.

And how many wire this unfinished basement with zip-cord?

Your sentence is like saying bald tires present no problem if they are
retreaded.

Exactly!

Or, poison gas presents no problem if all present are wearing gas
masks.

Exactly again! I think you've got it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:40 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

You're right. My mistake.

THREE coats of sealant would be appropriate.

Then you're good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...aQgq3I....Hide quoted text -

Have you read about the hundreds, actualy probably thousands, of
houses with this serious issue.

Last time I saw news report about the matter, one estimate was that
300,000 homes were involved. *Other estimate 100,000. *No certain
figures. *What actual harm is the stuff doing?- Hide quoted text -

The many sulfer compounds from Fly ash unscrubbed, will only eventualy
kill you in high concentrations. They turn new copper and silver black
in a few months, ruin wiring in apliances making them fail in months.
But first you get sick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 7:13*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

Nowhere is it recommeded to "seal" drywall against Vapor Poisoning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...aQgq3I....Hide quoted text -

Have you read about the hundreds, actualy probably thousands, of
houses with this serious issue.

Yes I knew about the problem with the Chinese drywall. *It was all
over the news months ago. *My point is all she ever does is bitch
about items from China.- Hide quoted text -

In Europe about 100,000 office chairs were recalled , these Chinese
chairs gave people rashes. Suposidly from excessive anti mold agents
the Chinese put in during the rainy season, im sure those chairs are
here
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when
building materials were in short supply, American construction
companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it
was abundant and cheap.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...yik0AD97GBF100

Chinese drywall presents no problem if properly installed (2 coats oil-based
KILZ or equivalent on all sides).

In 45 years or so of being around construction, I've NEVER seen the
backside of drywall painted before it goes up. How absurd. They take it
out of the stack, cut it, and screw it up. Exactly where and when would
this backside painting be done? Not like a construction site has a lot
of room to lay it out and paint it. What you propose would bring the
interior finish work to a halt for days at a time.

Or were you just being sarcastic?

Bottom line, the builders screwed up by using product of unknown
quality, and it came back to bite them in the ass. If real drywall
wasn't available, they should have postponed finishing the houses (or
even starting them, since a half-built house cost money on the
financing), or gone with alternative wall coverings. For the sick
houses, a gut job on the walls, and changing out any other items that
were damaged by the outgassing, is the only solution. Ain't gonna be cheap.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 7:53*am, ransley wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:40*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's for sure. If anyone had known they had to give it a
couple coats of oil based paint on both sides to seal it, they never
would have bought the stuff. There couldn't be a big enough diff in
price for any builder to go through all that hassle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 8:07*am, aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

I bet the drywall was sold everywhere there was a shortage. Building
Products entering the US must meet US codes for buiding, saftey and
health standards. Nobody knew this crap was poison except the guy
supplying what is suspected as unscrubbed Fly Ash, its realy not the
builders fault, its the manufacturers fault. The Chinese need to pay
the damages, their gov needs to increase their public hangings and
start castrations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

Didn't The Chinese Government recently execute those
responsible for the melamine contamination of infant
formula? The melamine was put in it to fool the test
for protein content, if I remember correctly.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Your sentence is like saying bald tires present no problem if they
are retreaded.

Exactly!

Or, poison gas presents no problem if all present are wearing gas
masks.

Exactly again! I think you've got it.

Nowhere is it recommeded to "seal" drywall against Vapor Poisoning.

Right. I've never seen a bit of wood stamped "For best results, painting is
recommended" either.

A few years ago, a giant highway sign fell into the traffic lanes and did
significant damage to the traffic. Investigation revealed that sub-standard
bolts (from China or Walmart or somewhere) were used to hold it up.

I'm not sure, but I think the fix was to change the engineering specs to
double the number of bolts rather than subject the bolts to failure testing.

You've got to adapt to what you've got.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 2:23*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:39:08 -0700 (PDT), ransley

HeyBub wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

There is a lot of hype here in SW Florida where this started but the
real problem seems very limited and only really involves one drywall
vendor and one builder, perhaps only one shipment of drywall.
The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always
latch onto a way to bash China.- Hide quoted text -

AP has a new article on it, its not the one listed subdivision
everyone talks about. It could be 100,000 homes. It took years of them
poisoning foods with Melamine, and many pet and human deaths until the
chinese woke up. With summers heat and humidity complaimts will roll
in as heat and high humidity activate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 4:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:

Your sentence is like saying bald tires present no problem if they
are retreaded.

Exactly!

Or, poison gas presents no problem if all present are wearing gas
masks.

Exactly again! I think you've got it.

Nowhere is it recommeded to "seal" drywall against Vapor Poisoning.

Right. I've never seen a bit of wood stamped "For best results, painting is
recommended" either.

A few years ago, a giant highway sign fell into the traffic lanes and did
significant damage to the traffic. Investigation revealed that sub-standard
bolts (from China or Walmart or somewhere) were used to hold it up.

I'm not sure, but I think the fix was to change the engineering specs to
double the number of bolts rather than subject the bolts to failure testing.

You've got to adapt to what you've got.

So you say paint Cedar and PT is proper. Needing to seal drywall on
all exposed areas with oil is improper. It would also likely more than
double instalation costs. Whats next, poisonous chemicals in carpets
and furniture, actualy that just happened in Europe with Chinese
office chairs giving rashes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Nowhere is it recommeded to "seal" drywall against Vapor Poisoning.

Right. I've never seen a bit of wood stamped "For best results,
painting is recommended" either.

You've got to adapt to what you've got.

So you say paint Cedar and PT is proper.

No, I didn't say that. I said I've never seen a bit of wood with that
recommendation. Yet, for reasons seemingly unfathomable, many people do
paint wood in spite of not being told to do so.

Needing to seal drywall on
all exposed areas with oil is improper. It would also likely more than
double instalation costs. Whats next, poisonous chemicals in carpets
and furniture, actualy that just happened in Europe with Chinese
office chairs giving rashes.

Yeah, I heard about that. Fortunately, injections are available for most
allergic rashes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
There is a lot of hype here in SW Florida where this started but the
real problem seems very limited and only really involves one drywall
vendor and one builder, perhaps only one shipment of drywall.
The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always
latch onto a way to bash China.

Very limited? Thousands of homes have it and you say very limited? After
seeing what happens to copper pipes, I'd not want it in my house.

In your opinions, who should be bashed if not the China supplier?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
There is a lot of hype here in SW Florida where this started but the
real problem seems very limited and only really involves one drywall
vendor and one builder, perhaps only one shipment of drywall.
The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always
latch onto a way to bash China.

Very limited? Thousands of homes have it and you say very limited? After
seeing what happens to copper pipes, I'd not want it in my house.

In your opinions, who should be bashed if not the China supplier?

Hi,
I don't think Chinese direct marketed the stuff in States. They just
made them per order sheet. No matter what if there is a sheet installed
that is one too many.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
There is a lot of hype here in SW Florida where this started but the
real problem seems very limited and only really involves one drywall
vendor and one builder, perhaps only one shipment of drywall.
The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always
latch onto a way to bash China.

Very limited? Thousands of homes have it and you say very limited?
After seeing what happens to copper pipes, I'd not want it in my house.

In your opinions, who should be bashed if not the China supplier?

Hi,
I don't think Chinese direct marketed the stuff in States. They just made
them per order sheet. No matter what if there is a sheet installed
that is one too many.

I don't blame the guy on the factory floor, but someone made the decision to
cut corners in production. That ******* should pay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

"A few years ago, a giant highway sign fell into the traffic lanes and
did
significant damage to the traffic. Investigation revealed that sub-
standard
bolts (from China or Walmart or somewhere) were used to hold it up.
I'm not sure, but I think the fix was to change the engineering specs
double the number of bolts rather than subject the bolts to failure
testing.
You've got to adapt to what you've got."

How many screws does it take to screw on a sign?
Depends on how many people you get to screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:51:59 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always
latch onto a way to bash China.

And exactly what's wrong with bashing China? You sound as though you might
be one that makes money from China's imports? Could that be the case?

I have no problem with bashing China but it shouldn't automatically be
a reason to panic Americans across the country about a problem that
has really only been demonstrated in a few houses built by Lennar over
a very short period of time in Cape Coral Florida.
It is like that tomato scare that had millions of pounds of tomatoes
thrown away over a problem that may have just been one shipment of
tomatoes carried in one dirty truck.

There were a number of deaths, scattered around the country. Since
e-coli or salmonella are really unpleasant ways to die, I can see the
reason for caution. With mass marketing, there is more potential to
have mass outbreaks from one contaminated product or facility mixing
with huge amounts of product. If I am one small grower who sells to a
wholesaler who sells to Dole, then I can mess up a large amount of food
product. With modern medicine being what it is, there are thousands and
thousands of people with immune system problems who live well until they
get a dose of e-coli in their food or some arcane bacteria from water
supply. Seafood is already mass contaminated, so dirtying the ocean has
been accomplished. I read about sea otters off the coast of Oregon?
dying from diseases carried by runoff - source: domestic cats.

Now, if folks could buy from local farms, sources would be much more
identifiable and easy to contain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 7:56*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:

Nowhere is it recommeded to "seal" drywall against Vapor Poisoning.

Right. I've never seen a bit of wood stamped "For best results,
painting is recommended" either.

You've got to adapt to what you've got.

So you say paint Cedar and PT is proper.

No, I didn't say that. I said I've never seen a bit of wood with that
recommendation. Yet, for reasons seemingly unfathomable, many people do
paint wood in spite of not being told to do so.

Needing to seal drywall on
all exposed areas with oil is improper. It would also likely more than
double instalation costs. Whats next, poisonous chemicals in carpets
and furniture, actualy that just happened in Europe with Chinese
office chairs giving rashes.

Yeah, I heard about that. Fortunately, injections are available for most
allergic rashes.

So if you bought a chinese chair that gave you a rash you would see a
doctor. I wouldnt wast the time or money, Its likely poison in those
chairs anyway, hundreds of bad chemicals give rashes, last time I
spilled paint thinner on my pants I got a rash, so you say I should
have gotten an alergy shot! I see it as poison, chinese negligence to
saftey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

[...]

No, I'm NOT saying you should get an allergy shot; that's only one possible
solution.

You could buy Nomex underpants.

Geeze! Why do I have to think of evrything?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

That would about double the cost of instalation, and remember an oil
base cant be the first coat on drywall, so you advocate 3 coats on
every side to seal out harmfull unscrubbed fly ash contaminents.

I think it would increase the cost by at least ten fold. Someone
would have to put each sheet on saw horses, prime them, wait for the
primer to dry, put first coat on, put second coat on and then
install. If the sheets needed to be cut, the cut edges would need
the same labor and time intensive treatment. It would be VASTLY
cheaper to just throw the bad sheets away!
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

ransley wrote:

That would about double the cost of instalation, and remember an oil
base cant be the first coat on drywall, so you advocate 3 coats on
every side to seal out harmfull unscrubbed fly ash contaminents.

I think it would increase the cost by at least ten fold. Someone
would have to put each sheet on saw horses, prime them, wait for the
primer to dry, put first coat on, put second coat on and then
install. If the sheets needed to be cut, the cut edges would need
the same labor and time intensive treatment. It would be VASTLY
cheaper to just throw the bad sheets away!
--

You've got to stop playing troll, HeyBub. You're catching over the limit
on fish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

ransley wrote:

That would about double the cost of instalation, and remember an oil
base cant be the first coat on drywall, so you advocate 3 coats on
every side to seal out harmfull unscrubbed fly ash contaminents.

I think it would increase the cost by at least ten fold. Someone
would have to put each sheet on saw horses, prime them, wait for the
primer to dry, put first coat on, put second coat on and then
install. If the sheets needed to be cut, the cut edges would need
the same labor and time intensive treatment. It would be VASTLY
cheaper to just throw the bad sheets away!
--

You've got to stop playing troll, HeyBub. You're catching over the
limit on fish.

Yeah, you're probably right. Either my skill set is not quite good enough or
some folks can't tell the difference between satire and a loon... although I
suppose it's possible to be a satirist AND a loon.

Still, I think adrenaline is good for people. I'm especially enamored of a
t-shirt I saw recently. It featured a pregnant woman wearing a veil and
burka with super-imposed cross-hairs. The legend read: "One shot, TWO
kills."

or this coffee mug

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=375&h=500