Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Alder project

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
I love the smell of alder in the afternoon - and salmon. A little break
from the usual Easter ham...

Is that an alder plank??

If so, where do you buy it at?

I have seen cedar in this application, but not alder.

Yes, it's alder. Built a dining room table for a friend a few years ago
and had two 10' pieces left. I just whack a 22" piece off when ever I
get a nice sized filet. Only trouble with this is it was an farm raised
Atlantic rather than a Pacific NW coho or chinook - a little hard to get
in the Arizona desert...

Alder holds up to the heat a little better than cedar and is the wood
used by the NW Indians to smoke salmon. I soaked this piece in the tub
for two days. Cherry, apple, etc also works well. I bought the alder
at Chandler Hardwoods several years ago, and they seem to have gone TU
recently :-(