Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PlainBill PlainBill is offline

Default Hitachi plasma Bad digital board can I replace at home?

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:30:53 -0700 (PDT), MTRHEAD
wrote:

Found out my Hitachi 55hdt79 plasma has a bad digital board. I
downloaded the manual last night and saw it looks like a plug in style
build up. A new digital board is $450 but the cost for the local TV
man to install is WAY too much. Can this board be changed out at
home?
if so, what precautions need to be taken? I paid a fortune for the
TV but dont have the amount they want to install. It just can't be
that hard.

Thanks in advance.
john

John, I'm tempted to say if you have to ask, you can't do it, but
that's an oversimplification. I am NOT familiar with that set. Does
the manual give explicit instructions? And what is your level of
experience? Most modern electronics is designed to be serviced at the
board level; no soldering iron required.

HOWEVER, sometimes certain information must be transfered from the old
board to the new, adjustments must be made or jumpers set on the new
board. And of course there are cables to be unplugged and
reconnected.

If you have problems changing oil in your car, plugs disconnect from
power cords when you unplug appliances, and you routinely injure
yourself with a phillips screwdriver, DON'T try this yourself.

If, on the other hand you are one of those superbeings who can build a
computer from a box of parts while talking to your mother-in-law on
the phone AND babysitting three toddlers simultaneously, this should
be a snap.

PlainBill