Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Morse Taper Questions...

On 2009-04-09, Wild_Bill wrote:
The acetone you use my leave behind a residue, but it is very likely that it
is also dissolving compounds within the cleaning towels.

Ed has mentioned many times that acetone that consumers can purchase is
generally acetone that's been used in industry, then cleaned up to be
resold.
I think acetone from a drug store may be clean, but much of the
cleaning/solvent types of acetone are not.

FWIW -- I've seen films left by CP (Chemically Pure) Acetone
bottled by Merk. And the "rag" used was "lint free" cloth for lens
cleaning and such.

This was glass bottled Acetone purchased by the chem lab at a
government R&D facility, not the tin-can contained stuff from Home
Depot.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564