Posted to rec.woodworking
Texas slacker Texas slacker is offline

Default replace interior door knobs/locks

On Apr 11, 8:09*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"Texas Slacker" wrote in message

On Apr 10, 2:58 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

wrote:
Gotta buy three to get these:

http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?...emNumber=50360

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

An added comment.

I can still remember my father complaining about these knobs when he
was forced to use them in a house he built in 1947.

Can't remember why he had to use them, probably availability (1947 was
a housing boom year), just remember the glass to metal bond kept
breaking and the knobs were a total PITA to use.

And yes, they really were BFU!

Lew

Well, OK guys these use the square shaft. *I have no problem with
throwing the Kwickset stuff away but what do I use to adapt the
qwickset hole to the new stuff? *Is there a cover plate or an adapter
to get me from Kwickset to China special? *Thanks

************************************************** *******************************

What does it matter? *You can buy complete sets that include everything if
the new knobs won't work with your existing Kwikset latch. *No need to worry
about adapting the hole in any way. *Just remove the existing latchset and
install the new. *BTW - "China special"? *Methinks you're going to be a very
disappointed individual as you begin to realize where your favorite things
are being manufactured.

--

-Mike-

OK, thanks for the input, I gather that this is not an unusual problem
so I will do some more Googleing.
Hey Mike, remember when Japan first got in the manufacturing business
after WW-2 and "Made in Japan" was a sure brand of crap? Now it'[s
"hencho en China". Some of their stuff in good now, I wonder how long
till the rest of it is good. It's going to be a rough generation. If
you want to really get to scratching your ass read "The World Is
Flat". Thanks again.