Posted to rec.woodworking

Default replace interior door knobs/locks

My house has the standard (for Texas anyway) fake panel doors with
cheap Kwickset knobs/locks. They are now 12-13 years old and
beginning to show some wear. I would like to repace them with
something with a little more class, like maybe glass knobs but all I
find are antique replacements which use the old door lock types with
the big keys. This takes an entirely different mounting hole than the
Kwickset's. Besides they cost about $100 a pop so for a dozen or so
doors that is just a bit more class than I want. Does anyone know of
a replacement knob set that will fit the Kwickset hole and maybe has a
glass knob? Preferable cheap and classy looking. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DAGS. There are plenty using the key words "Glass door knob lock".

Gotta buy three to get these:

http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?...emNumber=50360

then there are these guys

http://www.lookintheattic.com/door-k...FSAgDQodTn0DSA

There are plenty more, including more folks selling retro kits.

For me, I would buy the whole lock somewhere. Kwikset quality is
middling to poor quality, and if the locks are that old and are in
constant use, I wouldn't give replacement a second thought if I was
going to be hanging around.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gotta buy three to get these:

http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?...emNumber=50360

Now that is BFU!

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gotta buy three to get these:

http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?...emNumber=50360

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

An added comment.

I can still remember my father complaining about these knobs when he
was forced to use them in a house he built in 1947.

Can't remember why he had to use them, probably availability (1947 was
a housing boom year), just remember the glass to metal bond kept
breaking and the knobs were a total PITA to use.

And yes, they really were BFU!

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

An added comment.

I can still remember my father complaining about these knobs when he
was forced to use them in a house he built in 1947.

Can't remember why he had to use them, probably availability (1947 was
a housing boom year), just remember the glass to metal bond kept
breaking and the knobs were a total PITA to use.

And yes, they really were BFU!

*Lew

Well, OK guys these use the square shaft. I have no problem with
throwing the Kwickset stuff away but what do I use to adapt the
qwickset hole to the new stuff? Is there a cover plate or an adapter
to get me from Kwickset to China special? Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 2:31*pm, Texas Slacker wrote:

Well, OK guys these use the square shaft. *I have no problem with
throwing the Kwickset stuff away but what do I use to adapt the
qwickset hole to the new stuff? *Is there a cover plate or an adapter
to get me from Kwickset to China special? *Thanks

You may not need anything to cover the holes. You could also call the
vendors on the DAGS page.

Just in case you don't know what they are called, the cover plates are
called escutcheons.

So you know what's coming......

Yes you do.....

Drum roll......

DAGS "door lock escutcheon" and you will get results like these:

http://www.door-handle-locks.com/bra...s-fitting.html

Just kidding with you. Good luck.

I am in one of those nasty good moods that I get on occasion, this one
due to the fact that in just 3 hours I will be watching the gallant
heroes of our local AA baseball club. My first game of the season.

The field will be groomed, the uniforms clean, the annually refreshed
paint won't be peeling and it should be in the 70s this evening.

Since it isn't but the second day of the homestand, the beer won't be
flat, and the dogs won't be overdried tubes of meat with gummy dough
around them.

I can't f**** wait!

Odd... not much on major league ball at all, but I love this bush
league stuff.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

An added comment.

I can still remember my father complaining about these knobs when he
was forced to use them in a house he built in 1947.

Can't remember why he had to use them, probably availability (1947 was
a housing boom year), just remember the glass to metal bond kept
breaking and the knobs were a total PITA to use.

And yes, they really were BFU!

Lew

Well, OK guys these use the square shaft. I have no problem with
throwing the Kwickset stuff away but what do I use to adapt the
qwickset hole to the new stuff? Is there a cover plate or an adapter
to get me from Kwickset to China special? Thanks

What does it matter? You can buy complete sets that include everything if
the new knobs won't work with your existing Kwikset latch. No need to worry
about adapting the hole in any way. Just remove the existing latchset and
install the new. BTW - "China special"? Methinks you're going to be a very
disappointed individual as you begin to realize where your favorite things
are being manufactured.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

************************************************** *******************************

What does it matter? *You can buy complete sets that include everything if
the new knobs won't work with your existing Kwikset latch. *No need to worry
about adapting the hole in any way. *Just remove the existing latchset and
install the new. *BTW - "China special"? *Methinks you're going to be a very
disappointed individual as you begin to realize where your favorite things
are being manufactured.

--

-Mike-

OK, thanks for the input, I gather that this is not an unusual problem
so I will do some more Googleing.
Hey Mike, remember when Japan first got in the manufacturing business
after WW-2 and "Made in Japan" was a sure brand of crap? Now it'[s
"hencho en China". Some of their stuff in good now, I wonder how long
till the rest of it is good. It's going to be a rough generation. If
you want to really get to scratching your ass read "The World Is
Flat". Thanks again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Texas Slacker" wrote in message

OK, thanks for the input, I gather that this is not an unusual problem
so I will do some more Googleing.
Hey Mike, remember when Japan first got in the manufacturing business
after WW-2 and "Made in Japan" was a sure brand of crap? Now it'[s
"hencho en China". Some of their stuff in good now, I wonder how long
till the rest of it is good. It's going to be a rough generation. If
you want to really get to scratching your ass read "The World Is
Flat". Thanks again.

Oh - I sure do remember when "Made In Japan" was a sure sign of junk. Then
came Taiwan, then China, with a little bit of Indonesia thrown in there.
The bigger problem today, that makes things different than when Japan was
throwing junk on the market is that today it is the American brands (which
used to be known for quality), specing the junk in the name of profits. The
Chinese will manufacture to any standard the brand wants, but unfortunately,
not all American brands represent quality anymore.

--

-Mike-

You might have a look at www.lockhouse.com

On the Emtek link http://www.lockhouse.com/emtek/e-crystal_knobs.html
you will find the different Emtek crystal knob styles and a link to
the Emtek pdf. If you click on one of the knobs from the above
link, it will show the required bore. Most seem to be standard
2 1/8" bore with the 2 3/8" backset. They also have the old style
restoration knobs that take the square rod.

Mike O.