Tom Watson

Default Should I Finish Bed Slats?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:42:42 GMT, "Bob N" wrote:

Thanks for the helpful advice on scraping vs. sanding my son's ash bed. I sanded to 220
and the first coat of finish (Tried & True Varnish Oil) is already silky.

I don't want to put oil finish on the poplar slats since they contact the mattress. Would
it be better to shellac them to reduce movement due to humidity changes or leave them
unfinished?

Thanks.

Bob:

Select your slats for as near to quartersawn as you can get.
Depending on the width of the bed, you may want to use 5/4 in
preference to 3/4 stock. If you have ash left from the bed project,
I'd use that in preference to the poplar. If the piece has a natural
bow in it, turn it up.

When I make beds I seal the slats with shellac. Shellac will not
interact with the dyes in the bed fittings, unlike inadequately cured
lacquer, varnishes, etc. By sanding and sealing the slats you will be
able to adjust them with the box spring in place without abrading the
covering and when you take the bed apart for a good cleaning, you will
be able to wipe down the slats more easily.

Do not use ply for slats. Those who would argue that it is stronger
because it is laminated are ignoring the fact that the laminations
will be at ninety degrees to the proper orientation with regards to
strength. The phenolic resins used in ply lamination are not as shock
resistant as the natural lignin in solid stock.

Some beds need more shock resistance than others.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson