Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Morse Taper Questions...

I can see that as well.

Consider doing a shaft that is offset so a taper can be cut
without a taper option. Or a not so balanced flywheel being cut down
from a sand pouring. Side forces on the tail-stock can rock out the center.
I think the wedge kept rotation and walking out.

I can't find the booklet (reprint) that showed a slot in the tail-stock.

Martin

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:48:16 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I've always thought the tang at the back of a Morse Taper was for
insurance... Or in other words, if the tool slipped, the tang provided
drive.

I was told today that a MT1 has more holding power than a Jacobs J33 taper
without the tang...

This makes me wonder... Is the tang for driving the tool rotationally,
material to remove the taper without damaging it, combination?

Thoughts? Charts on their ratings without the tang, etc?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

=========
FWIW -- I always thought that it was for removing the tool from
the socket using the wedge.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: