George M. Kazaka

Default Should I Finish Bed Slats?

I gotta just Gotta back Doug on this one,

By the way bed slats should be made out of Maple poplar just wount cut it
strength wise
It is also a good idea to pick out a board that has a bow to it and use them
convex side up
also I've never seen a bed slat finished yet
Sweet dreams
George

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
Doug,
Disagree with your comment on plywood over solid wood. In wood of same
dimensions, plywood is much stronger than typical wood (especially

something
like poplar). You don't have the wood defects, splits, checks, etc than

can
weaken solid wood.
Since plywood is laminated veneers of solid wood with the laminations
running at 90 degree angles to each others, it's resistance to breakage

for
something like a bed slat is much greater than a typical piece of poplar.
Gary

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , "Gary"

wrote:
Why finish them? Wood movement isn't necessarily a bad thing. You only

need
to control it where it wood is joined and movement of the wood can

cause
problems with some sort of joinery or attachement. Attach the bed

slats
with a screw through the middle of the slat to your ledger strip and

any
movement will be an expansion of the wood away from the screw.
Another thought - use plywood slats instead of hardwood. No wood

movement
and much stronger across it's length than hardwood.

Ummm... actually, solid wood is stronger.

"Bob N" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for the helpful advice on scraping vs. sanding my son's ash

bed.
sanded to 220
and the first coat of finish (Tried & True Varnish Oil) is already

silky.

I don't want to put oil finish on the poplar slats since they contact

the
mattress. Would
it be better to shellac them to reduce movement due to humidity

changes
or
leave them
unfinished?