Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Morse Taper Questions...

The acetone you use my leave behind a residue, but it is very likely that it
is also dissolving compounds within the cleaning towels.

Ed has mentioned many times that acetone that consumers can purchase is
generally acetone that's been used in industry, then cleaned up to be
resold.
I think acetone from a drug store may be clean, but much of the
cleaning/solvent types of acetone are not.

Lacquer thinner, which is close to acetone, will cause pigments to be
released from paper towels (even just plain white ones), but also binders.
I've seen a white cloudy film after using lacquer thinner on Brawny towels
to clean glass or glass lenses.
Generally, the cleanest that I can get a part, is to use lacquer thinner or
denatured alcohol with a new or very clean 100% cotton cloth.

I've also seen certain blue shop towels (on a roll like paper towels) that
come apart when lacquer thinner is used with them.

About the only way to get something really clean is to use perfectly clean
solvents and no-residue cleaning towels for a particular solvent.

Most times around the shop, parts don't need to be perfectly clean, but
optics elements do.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the heads up and info. I've never heard of a MT4+ shearing the
tang off, but I suppose it is possible now that you say it...

One of the options I offer is a MT2 with a draw bar... I suppose the draw
bar makes the MT2 seat better even if imperfect... But the clenaliness of
the tapered surfaces is always a major concern for us. Acetone is what we
use but even that leaves a slight sheen of oil. (don't beleive me? Go
clean a mirror with it...)

I'm looking to do a through-the-coolant application where the MT tooling
goes into a spindle that has a draw bar-like knock-out passageway to
remove the tapered tooling... And thus the tooling's tang will not have a
slot to knock it out because the liquid would escape!

We had a drill press here a few years ago with a MT2 tang that was seated
so well, we bent the spindle trying to remove it and ruined the drill
press. Simply deformed the drifts into mangled pieces of steel.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R