Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Morse Taper Questions...

On my radial drill (MT4 or MT5) you have to turn the quill down manually
against the stock without the machine running to press it in. I haven't
done it, but i know this machine would shear that tang right off. BTW, I
don't know my morse numbers. This machine is the size you find on 2" drill
bits.

These numbers are *not* exact, but often are close enough to help people
determine what morse taper thier machine uses. By not exact, I mean that
sometimes the taper extends past the spec. numbers on the tool or sometimes
the female is slightly more deep or shallow than it should be and thus the
measurement changes...

To determine what taper your machine has, measure either the greatest
diameter of the morse taper portion of the tool or the largest diameter of
the female morse taper cavity on the machine and compare to below:

MT0 - 0.356"
MT1 - 0.475"
MT2 - 0.700"
MT3 - 0.938"
MT4 - 1.231"
MT4.5 - 1.500"
MT5 - 1.748"
MT6 - 2.494"
MT7 - 3.270"

More info he http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html

Personally, I've never heard of the MT0 or MT4.5 before studying about them
in depth... But apparently they exist. I'm guessing the MT4.5 is a rare
bird for sure!

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022