Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Reconditioned vs. New

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 01:14:29 GMT, aemeijers wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

-snip-
You would have learned the same lesson with a new computer. In fact,
you probably would have been at greater risk with all the components
being new as electronics tend to either be defective from the start or
last nearly forever.

I disagree here and that's what makes them a bad risk for refurbs.
Electronics failures are often the result of a specific temperature,
or a slight flexing of the part. If they don't hit that temp, or
get picked up just right in the shop, the refurb will be a failure.

My SONY tower that I referenced was fine until the room reached 74-
then it crashed. Open it up & it would cool off enough to work. A
new motherboard 7 cards cured it.

Daughter's Dell laptop was fine for a year- then began to have a
multitude of problems that were cured with a new motherboard from
Dell.

The HP I'm using was fine for 18months- then began to have weird
symptoms after it heated up a bit. Again, a warranty replacement of
the motherboard fixed it.

Electroniics fail in weird and wonderful ways.

Jim

I've had close visibility of support issues and failures on a group of
about 2000 machines at the place I work, for close to ten years. If I
had 3 motherboards from different vendors go Tango Uniform in the same
residence, I'd suspect dirty power or other local conditions, rather
than poor manufacturing quality. Clusters are seldom random.

Or there's a smoker in the house fulling the equipment with tar and
killing the fans and moving parts. Or pet hair and equipment at floor
level...