Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Reconditioned vs. New

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:18:50 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

-snip-

-snip-
being new as electronics tend to either be defective from the start or
last nearly forever.

I disagree here and that's what makes them a bad risk for refurbs.
Electronics failures are often the result of a specific temperature,
or a slight flexing of the part. If they don't hit that temp, or
get picked up just right in the shop, the refurb will be a failure.

My SONY tower that I referenced was fine until the room reached 74-
then it crashed. Open it up & it would cool off enough to work. A
new motherboard 7 cards cured it.

and a newly assembled one would be any better, how?

Wouldn't be. But my point was to refute your contention that
electronics don't regularly fail in the course of service.

Daughter's Dell laptop was fine for a year- then began to have a
multitude of problems that were cured with a new motherboard from
Dell.

and a newly assembled one would be better, how?

This one *was* new- as was the HP. But neither were defective for
several months.

Jim