Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Reconditioned vs. New

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:29:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 19:35:19 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

-snip-
Others have vouched for reconditioned tools, but I would *never* buy
reconditioned consumer electronics. Too many problems are intermittent,
and the so-called repair doesn't actually fix them.

I'm with Smitty on this one. If the return policy was easy, or the
company had a reputation for really good service- and if the price was
good enough to warrant the risk, then I'd go for it.

But I learned the lesson with a refurb Sony computer. Happy to say
that after Sony sent me a new drive and I installed it- then sent me a

You would have learned the same lesson with a new computer. In fact,
you probably would have been at greater risk with all the components
being new as electronics tend to either be defective from the start or
last nearly forever.