Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Morse Taper Questions...

wrote:

This becomes painfully apparent in the larger taper and drill sizes:
If a #4 or #5 MT slips when driving a large drill the tang is easily
sheared off. With a #3 MT it depends on the type of tool. With # 2
MT and smaller the tang generally is of sufficient strength to drive
the tool in case of slippage.

What is the typical best way to seat a MT tool? I've tended to just stick them in a clean
socket with bit of velocity so they bottom with some force.

I've used up to MT4 and never had one spin yet but it could be that I move slowly at first
into the work piece the increasing tool tip pressure is seating it firmer as the
rotational forces are increasing.

Wes