Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I went to a school (machinery) auction

Don Foreman wrote:
Some fairly heavy-duty math is behind software that does:
secure computing
encryption and decryption
compression
image processing
some controls, particularly controls that must not fail like
flight controls, refineries, etc.

I wouldn't disagree, but the key here is "... is behind software ...".
I.e., the math is the content, if you will, rather than the tool used to
develop the software. The math is in the coded algorithms, rather than
being an outside analytical tool.

I could be wrong, of course - it has been 17 years since I retired. If
so, I'd be very interested in seeing how software is modeled. Just
hearing what the parameters are would be interesting. Maybe I should
find a software NG to ask.

Bob