Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Worn keyway

I've generally always gotten some level of enjoyment out of repairing stuff
just for my own use, but for a commercial application that a man derives
income from, replacing the motor would very likely be the most cost
effective solution.

The objective as I see it would be to get the machine back in operating
condition so it can be earning money, and not fail again within a short
period of time (putting the guy back at square one).

Anything can be repaired, and this example is no exception. The OP said four
machines have this problem (or four more of 'em), so the cost of replacement
motors, although significant, will eventually be recovered, and the cost is
closer to couple hundred instead of almost a thousand (at over $200 per
motor).

The new motors will probably run reliably for quite some time. When
repairing the old motors, they're still just used motors with lots of hours
on them.

The mangled motor shafts could be repaired fairly quickly and effortlessly
with the right equipment, and the mounting interface between the shaft and
blower wheel could be upgraded/improved, or maybe better-made blower wheels
could be sourced.

As many of the HSMs here know, having a couple of metalworking machines
makes a great many things possible, and often practical.. but we can also
remember when we didn't have the machining capabilities, and generally
everything was much more difficult (and many times just beyond the scope of
our capabilities with only limited tools).

Working with just a hacksaw, file, drill and/or a Dremel or die grinder can
sometimes produce satisfactory results, although progress may be slow.
Relying on epoxies and other band-aid "miracle" products can often be
(should be)last ditch efforts because there might not be a second chance
after trying those products.

Maybe it's mostly age, but I never liked to see someone bust their ass to
attain poor results, yet that's what some folks are used to doing. Many
large companies operate like this year after year.

I've looked at some repair jobs as an opportunity to improve the assembly or
machine, to make it a little better than it was (what led to the
failure/wear), or at least easier to repair the next time if the original
design just demanded periodic repairs.

These methods continue to get more difficult to implement as products are
made more cheaply, essentially throw-way products, and more frequently
finding new products to be faulty as soon as they're taken out of the box.
I'm beginning to dread needing to buy anything new.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 10:10 am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
As far as fitting a shaft collar to the shaft shown in the picture, I
don't
see a good loation for a collar to mate closely like it needs to.
I suspect that there is more damage in the bore of the blower wheel hub.
WB

My suspicion also. If the key rolled it had to carve a passage through
the fiberglass although it might not be visible externally.

Possibly a spacer bushing drilled lengthwise for the axial collar
screws would allow the fan and collar to both be located where they
work best. The drive torque would pass through the screws as shear at
the junctions, so they ought to be hardened socket head cap screws.

The spacer could be a square block of scrap aluminum of the right
thickness with a centered hole drilled for the shaft.