Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Worn keyway

As far as fitting a shaft collar to the shaft shown in the picture, I don't
see a good loation for a collar to mate closely like it needs to.

The area where the washers are, might be the only section that isn't
damaged, but I don't know if the collar an be situated at that end, or if it
needs to be at the end where the rusty nuts are (but putting the collar on
the threaded portion of the shaft wouldn't be very reliable, IMO).

The most secure installation for a shaft collar is when the ID of the collar
is fully mated with a shaft diameter (nearly full contact for 360 degrees).

There isn't a full diameter anywhere on the motor shaft in the picture. The
best contact anywhere on that shaft will still result in a less than perfect
fitting of the collar-to-shaft.
Proper alignment of the collar will most likely depend entirely on luck,
patience, trial and error.

Hand filing a section of key to match the shaft diameter should help if the
collar can be situated where the washers are (key to fill keyway
under/inside the collar).
I suspect that there is more damage in the bore of the blower wheel hub.

--
WB
metalworking projects

wrote in message
On Apr 4, 5:39 pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:

The shaft collar solution Ned mentioned should work well for a blower/fan
wheel load, as far as gripping the shaft and having a secure connection to
the blower wheel.

You will want to get the collar aligned correctly to the shaft centerline
(almost perfectly perpendicular) so you don't inadvertently introduce any
wobble in the blower wheel. A continuous vibration/shaking in the wheel
will
likely break out the fiberglas around the screws that attach the wheel to
the collar.

Without being able to see the actual machines, and not knowing what tools
and skills you have to work with, makes speculating what repairs could/can
possibly be done, mostly guesswork from a distant position.. but many
motor
applications can be implemented in various ways to do a particular task.
With the addition of a couple of parts, or some modifiations, it's
possible
that one inexpensive motor could be used in different machines.

--
WB
metalworking projectswww.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

wrote in message

I went to the surplus site and I see how with a little modification I
could get a motor much cheaper. The other type dryer motors that i
have one of which burned out and cost me over three hundred has
approx. a 14 in. shaft with a thread on the end what would I do about
that.

Any suggestions as to the best way to make sure the collar is
correctly aligned.