Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] smartin1019@verizon.net is offline

Default Worn keyway

On Apr 4, 5:39*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
The Surplus Center is only one of hundreds of surplus sellers in the U.S.
I've seen quite a few appliance fractional HP motors with extended shafts
over the years (longer than the motor case), like you mentioned, but I don't
recall where.

An alternative for the long motor shaft might be a modification of the dryer
housing if you can mount *separate shaft between a couple of bearings. Then
an ordinary motor with a shaft coupler might eliminate the need for the
special motor.

The shaft collar solution Ned mentioned should work well for a blower/fan
wheel load, as far as gripping the shaft and having a secure connection to
the blower wheel.

You will want to get the collar aligned correctly to the shaft centerline
(almost perfectly perpendicular) so you don't inadvertently introduce any
wobble in the blower wheel. A continuous vibration/shaking in the wheel will
likely break out the fiberglas around the screws that attach the wheel to
the collar.

Without being able to see the actual machines, and not knowing what tools
and skills you have to work with, makes speculating what repairs could/can
possibly be done, mostly guesswork from a distant position.. but many motor
applications can be implemented in various ways to do a particular task.
With the addition of a couple of parts, or some modifiations, it's possible
that one inexpensive motor could be used in different machines.

The down side of obtaining new surplus parts is, that they are often in
limited supply, so if you find a particular part that is especially useful,
get a supply of them.

FWIW, in this economic slump (or other preferred term), your public
facilities may be more in demand, so having equipment in good operating
condition is likely to keep happy customers returning to your business.

--
WB
metalworking projectswww.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

wrote in message

I went to the surplus site and I see how with a little modification I
could get a motor much cheaper. The other type dryer motors that i
have one of which burned out and cost me over three hundred has
approx. a 14 in. shaft with a thread on the end what would I do about
that.

Any suggestions as to the best way to make sure the collar is
correctly aligned.