Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Worn keyway

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:58:30 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 2, 11:09*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:44:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Brand new motor is over $200 how much could it cost to have a new
keyway cut on the other side of the shaft

Can you attach one of the flanged or face-mount collars in the middle
of this page to the fan and not bother with the key?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1149/=1a0dny

--
Ned Simmons

That looks like just what I need. Do I understand this, the collar
locks to the shaft then I would attach the collar to fan drilling
holes and using screws or even bolts. I had actually thought of trying
to drill a hole through the nut to help secure it but this looks
perfect. Thanks Martin

You've got it. Since you're relying on friction between the shaft and
collar to transmit torque, make sure there's no oil or grease on the
shaft and ID of the collar. Grease the collar's clamping screw to
maximize gripping force. If it's more convenient you can modify
standard collars by drilling them yourself.

--
Ned Simmons