Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] smartin1019@verizon.net is offline

Default Worn keyway

On Apr 2, 7:00*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 1, 8:50*pm, wrote:

Do you think I could cut a new keyway with a file and exactly what
type of file should I use. *thanks

Still no photos, plus we don't know what you have for machine tools or
skills. A 'hand" or "pillar" file has parallel sides unlike the usual
mill file, and a safe edge that lets it cut the slot wider without
deepening it. But I think you'll find it extremely difficult to file
the motor shaft key slot wider and keep the sides parallel and aligned
straight with the keyway in the hub. Chances are when the new
oversized key fits it will make contact at only a few places and will
soon pound the slot wider.

This is the tool that cuts a keyway slot in the hub:http://www.dumont.com/procedur.html
They aren't cheap and you need a press, hammering is likely to break
them.

If I absolutely had to do this without a milling machine, I would
broach the hub to 3/16", chisel and file the shaft slot close but
undersized, and then install the hub and tap in a 3/16" lathe bit to
raise a chip at the edges of the shaft slot. The hub should guide the
bit straight. File down the chip, tap the lathe bit in a litle
further, file and repeat. I'd grind a sharp square end on the bit and
then bevel the hub side slightly so only the shaft side cuts.

It's an easy job on a milling machine.

Jim Wilkins

I'm just the guy that owns the laundromat but I do all the repairs
including bearings on these motors. If I did this right the picture is
at

http://picasaweb.google.com/smartin1...CMCV7KSt0Or3Pw