Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus12193 Ignoramus12193 is offline

Default Worn keyway

On 2009-04-02, Tim #__#@__.- wrote:
Depends entirely on what you are driving,

10 HP reciprocating compressor.

and if you Loctite them to the shaft.

I did not use loctite, and I did use a little custom key that I had to
make. (I had to bore the pulley hub, motor and hub have different
keyway widths etc etc so the piece had to be custom shaped). I mae it
out of regular mild steel.

He is driving a fan with an 1/8" keyway. I'm betting this is both a low
horsepower and smooth transfer of power, and the it will work fine.

possibly a lot of vibration.

But if you drive something like a compressor with an electric motor, or a
mower blade with a gasoline engine, you will probably, but not certainly
need the key. In these examples you are driving a reciprocating load with a
continuous source, or a continuous load with a reciprocating source. So the
shock loading is a considerable factor.

Good point.

He is driving a continuous load (fan) with a continuous source (electric
motor), so I bet he will be ok. The only questions is, can is find a taper
pulley for his shaft size. The 1/8" key makes me think we might be talking
about a 1/2" shaft, and I don't know if they make them that small.

Might even be 7/16 shaft.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/