Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Worn keyway

The filled expoxies are no where near strong enough to withstand the
pounding of a key. The original shaft had steel in the 50kpsi range, JB
weld is 3000psi(??) Cutting a new keyway is the best solution but it is
not an option for most folks.

wrote:
On Mar 31, 10:06 pm, RoyJ wrote:
We use a mill to take larger keystock down to the smaller dimension
thickness, use a file to match the key stock width to the munched up
keyway. A royal pain but what else can you do?

wrote:
I have a few electric motors in commercial dryers with warn keyways on
the shaft end that holds the fan any suggestions on how to repair.
Keyways are 1/8 in. Thanks Martin- Hide quoted text -

Flip the shaft over and recut a new one 180 degrees off. It's what
shapers do(or for that narrow, it wouldn't take long with a thin
file). Or use a filled epoxy, JB Weld might work. I've used it on
worn shafts with flats before. If you ever want to get it apart
again, you might use some type of mold release on the key and hub...

Stan