Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] smartin1019@verizon.net is offline

Default Worn keyway

On Apr 1, 12:52*am, wrote:
On Mar 31, 10:06*pm, RoyJ wrote:

We use a mill to take larger keystock down to the smaller dimension
thickness, use a file to match the key stock width to the munched up
keyway. A royal pain but what else can you do?

wrote:
I have a few electric motors in commercial dryers with warn keyways on
the shaft end that holds the fan any suggestions on how to repair.
Keyways are 1/8 in. *Thanks *Martin- Hide quoted text -

Flip the shaft over and recut a new one 180 degrees off. *It's what
shapers do(or for that narrow, it wouldn't take long with a thin
file). *Or use a filled epoxy, JB Weld might work. *I've used it on
worn shafts with flats before. *If you ever want to get it apart
again, you might use some type of mold release on the key and hub...

Stan

I know what jb weld is whats filled epoxy the key way isn't totally
ruined only in the middle if i used one of those products and recut it
do you think it would hold.