Andy Dingley

Default Jointer Safety Help

On 19 Oct 2003 10:28:22 -0700, (Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

The jointer guards I have seen do not allow feed in the wrong
direction.

We use "bridge" guards here in the UK, and Europe too AFAIK. You see
some US-style sprung guards around, but I think they've been
unsaleable on new kit since the '98 regs came in.

Here's a useful HSE guide (if you're in the UK, you should read this
site - lots of good stuff)
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis17.pdf
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/woodindx.htm

Although this is a pathertic little benchtop jointer, it's the same
guard as on my 6"
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CCJ

There's a curved aluminium extrusion that slides sideways through the
end of a rise-and-fall arm. For jointing, you slide the aluminium
sideways. For wide planing, you lift the arm up and pass the stock
under it. It has the disadvantage that the guard doesn't spriong back
when you remove the stock, leaving an unguarded cutter, but on the
whole I prefer them.